I am finally posting a photo of the mystery quilt I have been working on for two months or more. I chose these colors because I wanted a bright quilt. I am not happy with the way it turned out. I think the checkerboard borders overpower the design.
I have seen a picture of a purple version, and it is beautiful. I have seen a teal/brown version, and it also is beautiful. Mine is not, but it is done. I persevered and finished the top. One of the quilters put her quilt on her bed and sent me a picture. She has a smaller bed than I have, and her checkerboard borders hung over the sides of the bed. The center unit shows on top of the bed, and it is very nice. She also added a small teal strip as her last border before the checkerboards, and that really pulled the teal color out of her pinwheels. DH told me that I should add a small strip of red before the checkerboards. I had it all sewn together by that time, and I did not want to rip and recalculate, and resew. So what it is, is what it is...FINISHED! Now on to another project. I can check this one off my "to do" list. Of course, it is not quilted yet, but it may never reach that stage. I need to let it set a while.
I made an Irish Chain quilt with reds and greens. I sewed it up one night while providing security at a quilt show years ago. It set for at least five years before I happened to see it again. I wanted a Christmas quilt finished for one of the beds, so I had it quilted. I really like it now. Maybe my happiness will come later for the mystery quilt. I really do like my posies mystery quilt. Maybe the checkerboards will grow on me! Who knows?
4 comments:
I think it is really attractive. I don't think you needed a red first border because the fabric around the checkerboards in bold enough to create a border. I have had lessons like this too, I choose colors not in my "love" range and then I am disappointed with the results. When you show it to people pretend you like it and you will get positive comments.
I really like that. I don't think the border overpowers it - I think it adds another place to draw your eye too. It looks like it was A LOT of work!
Hi Pam; I like your mystery quilt, but maybe it has to grow on you. It's disappointing when a project doesn't work out the way you've envisioned. maybe it just needs some purple?!?
I think it's pretty! Quilting can make a huge difference too! Do you have a quilting plan yet?
Post a Comment