When visiting my aunt last week, we stopped at a quilt shop in the town where she lives. I found this wonderful book, Collaborative Quilting, by Freddy Moran (a local quilter) and Gwen Marston. It is so great! It was only $19.95 with 256 pages. The book is filled with wonderful color photographs of Freddy and Gwen's studios, quilts, and their homes. This is such an informative book. If you can, get a copy and cruise through the pages. Once you look at it, I am sure you will be hooked. If you like the quilting style of Gwen or Freddy (both very colorful quilters), you will love this book. There are directions, and patterns, for different quilts. Also included are directions for doing certain styles, like their liberated flying geese blocks, and different border treatments.
This is such a fun book. It is a delight just to read through the pages and learn about these two phenominal women. Putting both of them together, a collaboration, is earth shattering. Give yourself a treat and read this book.
Well, I am still working on my exchange blocks. I want to post a picture when I get some more color combinations done. Our date for the actual exchange has been postponed, so I do not have such a tight deadline, but I do want them finished before I go back to work (which is in one more week - eek!).
This summer has been different than I expected. We had travelled to visit with my husband's mother and stepfather at the end of June. His mother seemed a little more tired than usual, but was not complaining much about her health. The week after we returned home, we received a call from his stepfather. His mother had gone to the doctor after we had left. The doctor told them she had cancer, and had a limited time left. She passed away just 21 days later.
I have not posted much the last few weeks because I just could not get connected with my quilting in the way that I wanted. So, I have not finished what I had planned this summer because I seem to have lost my energy somewhat. Life goes on, and I must get it together since I need to return to work next week.
Finding that Collaborative Quilting book made me feel so much better. While reading that book, I found a smile, and a renewal of energy. I do not know why, or exactly what it was that made me smile, but it did. As I said, life goes on, and so must we.
I hope you all have a smile today.
Happy Quilting
9 comments:
Oh Pam,
I am so sorry about the loss of your mother in law. It is always hard to lose a loved one and even harder when it happens so fast.
My sincere condolences to you and your family during this difficult time.
I love the Colloborative Quilting book- it appeals to my love of color and I bought a copy awhile ago.
I hope that you are able to rest and relax a little before you return to school.
I'll be thinking of you and will be in touch again soon.
Hugs,
Anna
Pam, so sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your mother in law. My sincere condolences to your husband and your family
I don't have Colloborative Quilting, but I've seen it, and it is inspiring, and fun to read and to look at all the pictures. In regards to your quilting, I try not to get stressed if I'm NOT quilting, or sewing. Sometimes I just don't want to! ;o) It is a hobby, not a job or a career for me, and I try to look at it in that way. I love to do so many things, cook, garden, hand embroidery, read, watch TV, machine quilting, spending time at the computer---so whatever is happening in my leisure time is fine just so I'm enjoying it. Even if school starts soon, just relax and enjoy!quilting will be there when you are ready.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Take things easy until you are ready.
Pam I'm so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's death. I know how I felt when my own mother-in-law died - she had become my second mother and her loss was a blow to all of us. Please know that we are all thinking of you and understanding where you are right now. Blessings, marlene
Hi Pam,
I am saddened for you at the loss of your mother-in-law but isn't it great that you got to spend that time with her during your visit.
I usually do not take the time to read other people's comments, but for some reason I did on your blog today and I can not agree more wholeheartedly with Angie. I tell my quilting buddies all the time, quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing and not stressful, filled with deadlines. We get enough of that at work or in other parts of our lives.
That sounds like an interesting book - I will have to check it out.
Pam, I, too, send my condolences to you and your family. It is so fortuneate that you & Hubby had a nice visit with her before she died.
I seem to have lost my quilting mojo, too. There is just so much I want to do during our lovely summer months that quilting goes on the back burner. I have that PIF goody on my mind, though. My shopping while vacationing has resulted in a growing pile of purples in my fabric stash!
Very sorry to hear about Bill's mom. Please accept my condolences, both you and Bill. I am glad you found something to give you your energy back. I know it isn't easy.
See you at the exchange. Have fun back at school.
Jo Ann Garbarini
Pam, My prayers are with you and you r family.
I'm happy you found the Collaborative Quilting book. Some of my best "quilting time" has been done sitting in my husband's recliner with a nice cup of tea and a big quilting book. (I also count playing in fabric as quilting time....)
Sio
"Cancer sucks!" That a quote used often in the chemo lab and it's true. Whether your the one going through it or someone you love there is little good that comes with it. I am so sorry about your mother in law. Glad you found the book to bring a little cheer in your life.
Post a Comment