They are done. My exchange blocks are done, at least the ones that I will give away. This is a picture of a few of the blocks. We were doing a crazy quilt type block. They turned out very colorful, except for the beige/tan/off white ones. Those are very muted and soft. I like the all purple ones. Does that surprise you?
There is another exchange that I must work on. The deadline for those blocks was postponed, so of course I have postponed getting them done. But I like this feeling of "finished". So I shall start on those tomorrow, I think. I also want to get some samples done for a workshop I am leading for our guild. I want to make some Heartstring type blocks (string pieced). They are so easy and fun to do, and use up lots of scraps.
Speaking of scraps, I went to work with the Community Quilts group yesterday. They were making crumb blocks with scraps, and tying quilts. There were six ladies sewing in the room I was in, and two other ladies pressing and cutting the sewn parts.
I went in after lunch, and worked on finishing my 10+ year old community quilt. I had the last side of the binding to sew down. I like to sew the binding on the back by hand. I finished my binding, and rang the bell (you ring the bell when you finish a block, or a quilt). I played a tune on that bell being so excited that I finally finished the quilt that I started so long ago. It is the one I posted about that has pink in it. My thought was to make a quilt for a man since we make so many feminine type quilts, and children's quilts. So, I decided that blue would be a good "manly" color. I am not sure how the pink worked into that quilt, but somehow it did.
I made the blocks for that quilt from a pattern booklet by Sharon Craig. It was the first time I cut strips and sewed blocks from the strips. I cut so many strips. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. I made enough blocks to make two quilts, almost. I have several blocks left over, and lots of strips left over. I know the strips can go into my strip bins, but I must do something with those left over blocks. I want to take the tote bag they are in out from under my sewing table (and make room for another one!).
I have so many projects that I can work on that are stashed under my sewing table. There is so much stuff under my table that I can hardly fit my feet under the table when I am sewing! I also have my Singer Featherweight machines under there as well.
What started this activity was that I was looking for some black fabric for a project today, and I started moving everything that is in front of the closet door in my sewing room so that I could get into the closet to look for the fabric. I have a bolt of black fabric that I have not cut yet, and I thought that it was in the closet. Actually, I found it in front of the door, but since I had started on a quest to get into the closet, I continued moving everything.
When I finally did get into the closet (after watching a Perry Mason episode, and a Georgia Bonsteel quilt show - remember, I am still on vacation and I can still do those things), I found all kinds of treasures that I forgot about. I found a complete set of patterns (with fabric) for an applique cat quilt, a darling Santa quilt (including fabric for each pattern), and (among other things) my box of Baltimore Album blocks. I found four more blocks in that box that I had set up to be appliqued. I think I will have enough to make a 25 block quilt when those blocks are finished. In that same box are a bunch of blocks (with a heart theme) of various sizes and colors. There are enough to make a quilt, for sure.
Also in the closet (and mind you, I have not gone through the whole closet, yet), I found all the patterns for a Mama Said applique quilt. I know one member from our group who has actually finished her Mama Said quilt (I'm so envious). Then there is a complete set of the monster patterns for a quilt that I did as samples for a quilt store as an applique BOM. Lots of other things are in the closet that I do not have the interest in discovering today. Although, some of those bags and boxes have piked my interest!
I had thoughts of organizing this closet at the beginning of my summer break. Unfortunately I did not get around to that project, again. I had that same goal last summer, too.
My sewing room is a mess (more than usual) since I have all that wonderful stuff all over everywhere in there. Now I cannot even get to the bolt of black fabric to cut some for my project! I may close the door and revisit it tomorrow. In the meantime.....
Happy Quilting
FYI: DH found an article in today's newspaper. A little baby girl was born in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, on 08-08-08 at 8:08 in the morning weighing 8 pounds and 8 ounces! Ya gotta love it!
10 comments:
LOL..you could open up your own quilt shop right there from your closet!
Wonderful story about re-organizing the closet. Seems that we make a bigger mess when we start cleaning. I recently had the closet opening in my studio widened - but about 3 times. It was originally narrow and useless - I had to stack everything to the sides of the doorway to fit it in the closet and could only access the stuff on the sides by taking out the middle stack and pulling out bins and boxes.
With the new opening (we actually had the door removed and all of the front wall of the closet so it is like a walk-in shelf closet) I can access everything, especially now that we have shelves and drawers and cabinets in that space - so you'd think it would make more room - with all the moving and replacing I have some things left over I need to organize and find some place for - and NOT under the sewing table - that is full already.
Happy organizing - and hope you get back to that black fabric. Me - I'm looking for some green for more vines on my butterfly quilt.
I love it Pam - you have as much stuff as me! I've made a resolution not to buy anything else until I get most of the kits done that I already have. I wonder how long I can keep that resolution! Blessings, marlene
Well Pam,
I can so relate to the sewing room closet- but it is so much fun when you go searching through the boxes and bins to find something... VBG The thing is, is that you find all the other things that you weren't looking for and it can be quite distracting and my middle aged brain then forgets what I was looking for in the first place.LOL
My sewing room is in serious need of a few more boxes to re-organize the fabric - Isn't that always the way- you buy more fabric and you need more storage- it is a circular problem VBS
Happy Quilting,
Anna
I've decided it's not necessarily a good thing to reorganize sewing spaces. I took everything out of my sewing room several years ago and painted the room. First I had a terrible time getting everything back into the same space it came out of! It's like it multiplied while it was out! and to this day I still cannot find things I put back in the room. So, I can relate to moving stuff around. I love your swap blocks. They are all beautiful!
I don't dare re-organize. I know I'll find too many UFO's. I love the swap blocks...so pretty. I've given you an award to thank you for all the inspiration.
Isn't it amazing what you find when you start looking for something else. Love those new blocks, very colorful!
I would love to exchange blocks with you Purple is one of my favorites as well as orange. email me if interested.
honeybit64@yahoo.ca
I love the way those blocks just reach out and grab your eye. You have a great color sense.
Gave up on the closet, I straighten one day and mess it up the next. My goal is just to be able to close the door..........and I can't do that right now, it is in the mess stage.
Oh Pam! I can feel your pain! I'm still trying to figure out how to get too much stuff into my new quilt studio. I'm trying to be ruthless, really I am. And like Quiltmom said, that middle-aged brain (I'm still middle-aged, right??) I get distracted when I find pretty things to play with. Someday, it'll get done. Today it's too darn hot.
Love those exchange blocks!! The tan ones are so elegant and sophisticated. But I don't think I could do a whole quilt of that. I need more color in my world than that! Guess I'm not sophisticated and elegant, huh? *snort!*
Post a Comment