Saturday, August 23, 2008

Crayon Quilt

I finished the binding on the crayon quilt this morning. I tried to work on it last week, but could not keep my eyes focused on the black fabric. Too tired I guess! I want to hang this in my office at school, but I am not sure I have a space big enough. I guess I will find that out when I take it in to school.
Last week was a wing-dinger! Yesterday I stayed until almost 9:00 p.m. to get the classlists done and posted. Since I started at 7:00 a.m., it was a long day. School does not start for us until Tuesday, but the teachers have an inservice on Monday, so the students return on Tuesday. That makes for a three day weekend for me as I do not work on teacher inservice days. Six days of work and I am wasted! I am really getting too old for this stuff! Next week will be very busy for everyone. The first couple of weeks of school are super busy for the office staff.
Tomorrow is the block exchange for our crazy quilt style blocks. I am so excited to see all the blocks. They are really going to be great! This weekend I want to finish a tote bag I am making for a swap. I also have a Community Quilt to finish. I would like to have it done by the guild meeting next Tuesday. It needs binding and the ties cut and knotted.
I would also like to make some more string pieced blocks (Heartstrings and crumbs). I am enthralled with random piecing lately. It is a no brainer kind of sewing. Since I do not have much of a brain right now, it might be the best therapy for me at the moment. *LOL*
I should be cutting up some of my scraps to put into my bins for my scrap piecing. It takes time to organize it, but when it is done, I am sure it will be great. I purchased this cute plastic basket (with purple handles) for collecting scraps from my sewing table. If I cut up those scraps in that basket, then pull some more out of a bag underneath my sewing table, eventually I will get those bags emptied. Soon I will have full bins of usable pieces. My theory is that if I do a little at a time, it will all be done sometime, right? But my problem is that I seem to put more into my little basket than I take out. So how am I ever going to get to those bags under my table? And my working time definitely gets in the way of my sewing time!
BTW, does anyone make dish rags? I want to crotchet some, but I do not know what is the best yarn to use. I have a couple of patterns, but I am not sure what yarn will work best. It must be durable and withstand many trips into the dish pan. No, I do not have an automatic dishwasher. Yes, unfortunately, I am the dishwasher! I want some durable dish rags. The ones I buy at the store fall apart very quickly.
I need to get my next load of clothes into the wash machine, so I must go for now.
Happy Quilting

10 comments:

Donna said...

I too wash all dishes by hand, and crochet all my dishcloths. I use whatever cotton is avaialbe at the dollarstore that's a suitable weight (sort of sport weight yarn). The ones that are a soft cotton that is mostly unspun with a thread wound on top to hold it together make beautifully soft cloths, but dont stand up as well as a spun cotton -- if it takes a hard yank to break, once crocheted up it'll be fine!

quiltmom anna said...

HI Pam,
Its my turn next week to go back to work- I return to work on Wednesday and my kids come in after Labor Day. We have a PD day on the Thursday. The first few days are always challenging and fatiguing- You will soon get into the rhythm. Your crayon quilt is very cute- I sure hope that it will fit on the office wall.
Regards,
Anna

Julie in the Barn said...

The crayon quilt is so cute. How perfect to hang at school. I've got the same problem with cutting all the scraps & strips. I seem to end up with overflowing bins and the organizing part gets overwelming!

The best thing about retirement........every weekend is a 3 day!!! Hang in there, girl. Looking forward to seeing those crazy blocks.

Teresa said...

The crayon quilt is wonderful - just love the colors. I think it would be perfect hanging in your office.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Hi Pam - I know you're exhausted at this time of the school year. I've been where you are! The crayon quilt is going to be perfect at school. I crochet my dishcloths out of any cotton yarn I can find on sale but I only buy white because I like to bleach mine. I like the baby yarn when I can find it. blessings, marlene

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Thought the crayon quilt too cute. And absolutely adored the string blocks. They look great.

Marla said...

OH MY OH MY OH MY! I must know where the pattern for this quilt is.....I have to make one for my classroom!! LOVE IT! (today is our first day back to school. I'm actually looking forward to this school year! I know weird)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I don't crochet, but I knit dishrags. I use a cotton yarn called Peaches and Cream. If you can't find it in your area I can send you some. They carry it at our Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.

Cute quilt. I always wanted to make a crayon baby quilt, and even have the directions in one of my books.

Norma said...

That crayon quilt is wonderful! My DD collects Crayola things so this would be a wonderful for her too.

I know how you feel with the first week of school, it always amazed me how much work both closing up in and then starting up was for everyone. Not something that every one acknowledges, that is for sure.

YankeeQuilter said...

The crayon quilt is wonderful!