Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kaleidoscope blocks

The stacked strips in this picture have been sitting on my sewing table waiting to be finished for a while. I finally pulled them down last week to work on them. I have decided to make a 20 (4 x 5) block quilt. The ruler I used to cut my blocks is the one shown in the picture. The blocks are 12 inches finished. I know there are other ways to put these blocks together. I choose this one. The instructions are on the back of the ruler board.
These are easy blocks to make. I have found, though, that I must take much care in sewing an accurate seam allowance, and of course the cutting of the strips must be accurate. I also learned to press the dickens out of these strips when they are sewn into a strata. If I did not, my wedges did not come out even. I needed to stretch a little here, and ease a little there. But all in all, very easy sewing. I was at the beginning of my "turquoise period" when I pulled the fabrics for these blocks! Turquoise and purple is my favorite color combination. It runs a close tie with red, white and blue.
I have felt very creative with this project. After I get these blocks finished and all sewn together, then I must attend to making borders. Any ideas? I have been reading books on borders. I want to be more creative with borders on my quilts, but often I sew on the old standby, two or three strips of different fabrics just so I can get the project finished, quilted, bound and ready to give away.
What are you working on? Christmas gifts? UFOs? New projects? Charity quilts? Whatever projects you are working on.....
Happy Quilting

7 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh those are so lovely. I don't have any suggestions for borders - but I do like pieced borders better than just strips - though strips have their place too.

I'm not working on anything right now - we just recently got back from seeing our grandson in WV and I have a lot of catching up to do - but I will sew soon.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I can just see a Kaffe border with that quilt Pam! He has a lot of purple and turquoise prints.
I just finished binding a table runner gift and now I'm making a turkey table topper!

Teresa said...

Your K-scope blocks seem to radiate with color - very nice.
Don't ask me about borders, I struggle with them myself all the time. I want to be creative like I see on so many other quilts, but I just get stuck in the rut every time I try.

Sharon said...

These are beautiful! I still love purple and turquoise too. I think I have that ruler around here somewhere (?) but I've never tried it yet.

I have to tie and bind the Corduroy quilt and finish my Block Lotto blocks. And then I have to clean up the quilt studio so I can get going on my Christmas gifts! Presently, I have no room on the cutting table. Too many piles of fabric, etc.

Karen said...

I was looking at my kaleidoscope ruler just yesterday thinking I had never used it. Sweet looking blocks that you made.

Elaine Adair said...

I was ready to shut down the computer and clicked just one last time, and voila! There is a version of a favorite block! LOVE it - your colors are yummy. Borders? I kinda like the idea -- simple, of several strips of same, or similar colors you used i the blocks but definitely mitered at the corners to repeat the block angles. 8-)) I'll be watching!

Elaine Adair said...

I was ready to shut down the computer and clicked just one last time, and voila! There is a version of a favorite block! LOVE it - your colors are yummy. Borders? I kinda like the idea -- simple, of several strips of same, or similar colors you used i the blocks but definitely mitered at the corners to repeat the block angles. 8-)) I'll be watching!