Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Sew Bowl Sunday

Another weekend gone, but not forgotten. Saturday DH and I went to our baby boy's in law's house for his 30th birthday celebration. It was lots of fun seeing his old friends from high school and seeing how they have changed. Of course, it is always fun to see our own three children interacting as adults. I still see the little kids in their faces occasionally. Great fun was had by all.
Today, I went to a local quilt shop and sewed all afternoon. The owner had a Super Sew Bowl today for the football widows whose husband's are engrossed in the Super Bowl. I signed up to go since I love to get together with other quilters and sew and chat and eat. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies this morning and took them. There was also a sew-in all day yesterday, too. A couple of the ladies were there today who sewed yesterday.
I wanted to do a scrappy twist quilt with Bonnie Hunter and the crew today. I ended up doing a sort of scrappy twist. I used a jelly roll with a valentine's theme from Moda, Candy Kisses. I did get all the strips sewn together to cut the blocks, and completed eight blocks this afternoon. This is the same design that I did in my mystery class with my quilt guild. I really like that pattern.
The two pictures are of the eight blocks I finished. One setting is with little pinwheels in the center. The other setting is with little hour glass blocks in the center. There is also the setting that Bonnie uses in her Scrap Twist alternating the two diagonal blocks that I posted in a previous post. Which one do you like the best?
This coming week is a five day work week, then we have two three-day weekends due to two President's holidays. Whoopee! I love three day weekends. Maybe DH and I can get a trip to Monterrey/Pacific Grove one of those weekends. I have not been to the beach for a while. I need my batteries charged. A trip to the beach usually does the trick. In the meantime.....
Happy Quilting

6 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

This will be a cute Valentine quilt. I do love red & white quilts. The pinwheel center is my first choice. The weather is so nice right now for a trip to the coast. I hope it stays warm for you to go.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Yup, I'm likin' the pinwheel too. Hope you get to the beach, it revives me too.

Brenda said...

ditto on the pinwheel. fun fabrics and a fun quilt. I was on retreat this weekend too and it was great. didn't miss the football at all.

Norma said...

Got to say the pinwheels! Those are great blocks.

Glad you had suc a great weekend.........and more of the same coming up.

Norma said...

not suc, such!

Norma said...

not suc, such!