Sunday, February 22, 2009

Quilting 101 class

Sunday is almost over. What happened to the weekend? Well, Saturday I taught our Quilting 101 class at LAFS. There were five ladies there. We covered basic triangle blocks: half square, quarter square, and flying geese. A lady from a LQS came in and talked about different style rulers and their uses that are available now in the shops. She also brought and demonstrated different paper piecing products. Almost everyone who was at LAFS came over to hear her lecture. It was a very good meeting.
One of the ladies there had the center blocks sewn together from the mystery class. There were two quilt tops at Show and Tell at the last quilt meeting, also. It is so fun to see these quilts coming together.
The only sewing I managed to complete was a flying geese block using the No Waste Method for sewing flying geese units. With this method, you make four units at a time, and there are no triangles to cut off. Although, I like those little triangles. I sew them up and have a box of little half square triangle units that I will someday (?) use on a quilt, or tote bag, or something fun.
The photo is the set of fabrics I plan to use making a quilt with JudyL and her Quilt Along project. We'll see how far along I can get. I hope I can keep up with the group.
Hope you all have a good week. Stay warm, stay healthy, and stay happy.
Happy Quilting

5 comments:

dot said...

Oh, how I like your fabric choices. I will be fun to see this one come to shape.

Julie in the Barn said...

What gorgeous colors...but no purple? Are you doing the bear paw thing? That's a fun looking project. I have too many going right now to take on another. Sounds like you had another great class.

Teresa said...

Those fabrics are dynamic - its going to be a beautiful quilt. What does LAFS stand for?

Brenda said...

I agree, those are great fabrics. I don't think I see much purple in them, tho. Do you have a link for the no waste method of making flying geese? or can you post a tutorial? thanks.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Lovely bright fabrics - but where is the purple?????