Saturday, June 7, 2008

Thread Play Today

Here are some quilts done by Cindy Needham, our instructor for today's guild quilting class. She is a phenominal machine quilter. She quilts all her quilts on her home sewing machine. She has written a book, Linen Quilts. She started finding old linens, in good shape or not, and quilting them as a whole cloth quilt. She has done some wonderful quilts using these linens.
She works for Superior Threads, and she brought a lot of their threads today for us to use. She started class by talking about different types of threads, and how to use them. She explained how to adjust your sewing machine for using the different threads, including the metalic threads and fancy couching threads. As you can see in the photos, she does fantastic machine quilting. She also embellishes her quilts with beads, other type trims (like rick rack), and lace. She may take weeks to quilt a top. Many of the quilts she had today were silk. She likes to use wool batting, or whatever is appropriate for a particular project.
We started out making a sampler of threads. We used different settings on our machines, and used all different threads. We wrote on our fabric what thread we used and what settings we used for that thread. That was really fun. It was so interesting to discover what my machine would do, and not do, with a little adjustment on the settings. We even used metalic threads, like Glitter, and Halo. Such fun!
I learned that I can adjust my machine and not destroy it! That was really the biggest discovery for me today. I sew so much patchwork, that my machine settings stay very much the same all the time. I use the same type thread, so nothing needs to be changed. But let me tell you, that is about to change.
Today we had time to play with thread and our sewing machines. That is something I seldom have the time to do. I am always on a deadline to get something done, and do not have time to really play with my machine. Sometimes I find things out by accident (because I have made a mistake), but I usually do not have time to experiment to find how to do something different, unless I am in a class.
Today's class was such sewing fun. I hope you had fun with your sewing machine today.
Happy Quilting

3 comments:

Clare said...

Fantastic quilting. I wish I could quilt like that. Seriously thinking of cashign current DSM in and getting one that does machine quilting.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is fun, learning your machines little quirks with different threads. No one should be afraid to adjust their machine.

Tonya Ricucci said...

what beautiful quilting - I love those spider webs.