Here are the checkerboards, with corners sewn and cut. The two large checkerboards on the left are the first two that I completed. The two small blocks on the right are the cut-off corners placed together. There are many more checkerboards yet to sew and cut. See my new purple cutting board? I know, it looks pink in the photograph, but it really is a light purple (orchid) color. A friend realized she had bought two of the same one, and she offered the second one to me. Isn't it cute? It is blue on the opposite side.
In this second picture, I am showing you the process I am using to complete the checkerboard block (my first mini tutorial!). I draw two lines on the back of the swirl fabric. The first line is corner to corner (diagonal) in the very center of the square. This is the sewing line for the corner. I have added a second line 1/2 inch away as a second sewing line. After sewing on the two lines, I cut the corner away between the lines. I did not want to waste this fabric (the patchwork corner and the swirl fabric corner). I figured that if I mark the two lines, my leftover (cut) fabric triangles would make a square when sewn, which it did. I now have two different triangle/squares that measure about 5 inches. Double the fun!
There are two different designs that I have sewn from these leftover corners. It depends which way I turn the swirl fabric that determines the design. I like the one with the swirl fabric on the outside corners with the modified checkerboard in the center. I could do a quarter turn with the swirl triangles, and have a totally different design again. It is such fun playing with these triangles. When I sew the diagonal center line of the swirl fabric, and the second line 1/2 inch inside the center line, I can get a small block sewn each time, and a corner of swirl fabric sewn onto a checkerboard corner at the same time.
This last picture is a close up of the two drawn lines. I apologize that the picture is a little blurry, but I think I was too when I took the picture! It was late at night. I finally decided that my eyes were too tired to sew any more after I broke two sewing machine needles in less than 30 minutes while sewing through all the layers of fabric where the checkerboard squares join.
I have quite a few more corners to sew on my finished checkerboards. I want to get these done before I go on to finish sewing the other three big pinwheel blocks, and the five big goose in the pond blocks. Then I can sew the center together. I am so anxious to get to that part.
I have a machine quilting design class this Saturday, and Sunday is Father's Day. I am not sure how much time I will have to sew, but I really would like to get my checkerboard corners done this weekend. We will see. In the meantime.....
3 comments:
I really like your color choices here. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.
That cutting board is really nice, looks like the lines are easier to see on the light color. What do you think, having used it? My mat is getting old and will need replacing soon. (I, too, am getting old but hope they keep me around for a while!)
I like how your checkerboards are turning out. And clever you to make another block with those corners at the same time. Another quilt in progress!
I need a new mat and have been looking for a light colored one, too. I use dark fabrics a lot and it is so hard to see the edges for cutting on the standard green mat.
I love your "swirl" fabric. Very Van Gogh-ish. It makes the little triangles very interesting where they come together. Your quilt is looking good! And the purple mat is so "you"!
Post a Comment