Monday, June 23, 2008

Finished one more step

The checkerboards are finally finished. I was able to get some time with my sewing machine and I finished them. The photo shows how they will be sewn together in the mystery. They are the borders! Did you figure that one out? I certainly did not. It was quite a surprise to me. Of course, the whole quilt was quite a surprise to me.
This second photo shows two of the four corners. They are constructed
with the checkerboard design, just a larger block. I must be careful how I sew them together because they are opposites. I do not want to get the wrong block sewn on the wrong border. I can do that so easily, you know. If there is a possibility of making that kind of sewing error, I can do it, and I have done it, more than once, too! I get in such a sewing frenzy to get something finished that I am not careful how I put it together design wise, until someone points out to me that something just doesn't look quite right.
I had a great quilty weekend. Saturday I went to LAFS (Ladies Academy Finishing School). It is a monthly sew-in our guild has at the church where we meet. I took my checkerboards to sew. I was determined I was not leaving the church until I had them all done. I almost finished them there that night. Sunday DH and I went to the county fair. I quilted on the fair quilt while DH cruised the vendors. Every year our guild does exhibit quilting for a week at the county fair. We make a quilt top and take it to the fair. Members sign up to hand quilt on the quilt that week at the fair. Every hour we work on the quilt (sewing blocks, quilting, etc.) we earn a chance on the quilt. At the next monthly meeting someone's name will be drawn and that person will win the quilt, finished or not. I have never won, but I do have a fair quilt in my possession. A member who did win a fair quilt, gave it to me when she moved from the area. I had been in charge of the fair quilt that year, and I was more than happy to take the quilt off her hands! After we returned from the fair, I went into my sewing room and finished the last part of my checkerboards. So they were totally sewn last night. I was so excited I wanted to go on to the next step (the big pinwheel blocks, and the goose in the pond blocks). I cut some strips, but I decided to go to bed. It was 1:00 a.m. See what happends when I drink a soda with caffeine for dinner? We stopped at a favorite Mexican food place on the way home from the fair, and I had a soda with my tasty tostada. That kept be buzzed for a few hours. My body does not process caffeine very fast. I am officially on summer break starting today. I made a list of things I hope to accomplish this summer. The list included mostly quilts, but also things like getting the garage cleaned out. I wanted to do that last summer, but never got around to it. There are lots of boxes of my mother's things. I want to go through them and get things distributed and out of our garage. Maybe I can get that done this summer along with a few quilts. Also a trip to Monterey/Pacific Grove is on the list. This week is already busy. I have a luncheon date with a friend tomorrow. Wednesday I am having a tooth extracted (actually only the roots since the tooth is already gone), whoopie! Thursday we are going to Bakersfield (if I am not suffering too much from my extraction) to visit DH's step father for his birthday. I think he will be 85. So there goes the first week of my summer break. Already I am down one week, and it is only the first day of break! Life is passing me by too fast lately. I also want to shop for a new vehicle this summer if I can squeeze that in between baby quilts! Of course, let us not forget that I want to see all the Perry Mason shows that I can while I am off work. I like the older black and white shows the best. So, it looks like a busy summer for me. Lots of sewing/quilting and lots of Perrys. Happy Quilting to you. Sorry, it appears that I have lost my paragraph spacing again.

4 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

This is going to be a very striking quilt. I love that swirly fabric. But, hey, where's the purple?

I used to quilt with AVQ at the Alameda Fair every summer. We held a drawing to pick a member's top to quilt. My name never won but it sure was fun to participate in an old fashioned quilting bee!

Norma said...

Summer break, whee! I remember when I worked at the school and the break never seemed to last as long as I wanted it to.

Put some rest on that list of to dos!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would get a lot of sewing done while watching black and white Perry Mason's. you don't really need to be staring at the screen all of the time with them. Have a happy summer break!

Sharon said...

Congratulations on surviving another school year! I hope you'll take some time to rest in between all your other activities. Wheee! Time to quilt! Good luck with all your plans. And I can't wait to see how this mystery quilt turns out - it's very intriguing!