Monday, January 25, 2010
Pinwheels Galore!
I have lots of pinwheels finished. I made 48 for my block exchange this Sunday. My log cabin blocks are finished, too, so I am ready to go!
I like making pinwheel blocks, but sometimes when I have a lot to sew, I start looking at them and do not see if there is a problem. I had to be careful to make sure all my fabrics were in the correct order so that a pinwheel design was made when I finished my last seam. Sometimes surprises sneak in at the oddest times. All my pinwheels do not go in the same direction. That was not a requirement of the exchange.
This picture below is of two pinwheels made from the cast off triangles from one of the steps in Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Christmas Mystery Quilt. When I sewed that step, I sewed an extra seam at each end of the piece so that when I cut off the excess fabric, I had already sewed my little HSTs. These blocks measure 3 inches unfinished. I have a plan for a quilt with these pinwheels. You can see the full basket below. They are the rest of the HSTs that I sewed from the cast off fabric. I sewed together eight of them to make these two pinwheels so that I could get a feel as to how big the blocks would be. I don't know how big the quilt will be until I sew all the little pinwheels together and place them into the block I have planned to make with them.
I know I am crazy, but I love pinwheels, and I love using that cast off fabric. That is one reason why it took me longer making the mystery quilt. I was also sewing all those little HSTs as well as the other part of that step.
I also have a baggie with many little HSTs from another quilt I am working on. When I sew two pieces together, there are left over triangles to be trimmed, so I made HSTs from those cast off pieces. I am not sure what I will do with those yet. The background fabric is the same as with the pinwheels I am making from Bonnie's mystery quilt, so maybe I can use them all together in one quilt. I don't know yet if they will be the same size because I have not sewn any of those pinwheels together yet. I think those strips were the same size as the strips in the mystery quilt. Sounds promising!
There are so many little pieces of fabric flying around my sewing room amidst the stacks of fabrics and UFOs. I pulled out a couple of baskets of scraps the other day. I wanted to cut them up into usable pieces, but I did not have time that day to work on the scraps. That will be a project for another day I guess.
A friend asked me today if I had used bamboo batting. I have not, yet, but I have wanted to try it. If you have used it, please let me know your assessment of the bamboo batting.
Happy Quilting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You amaze me with your diligence - I don't like HST and never make them unless forced to. :-)
Pam I know I'm supposed to sew those extras together but I never do - I always think "next time." You're going to have a wonderful quilt when you get them put together! And I'm going to have nothing. :( that's what I get for being lazy. blessings, marlene
Pinwheels are fun blocks...and you look like you have had a lot of fun.
I do the same thing. The idea of letting them go kills me. I have a large collection. Keeping up with the trimming is the hardest part. Cant' wait to see yours. maybe it'll inspire me to get moving on mine!
Ha ha , you got got up in the extra triangle squares. I have 2 gallon baggies with them in from a couple of Bonnie quilts. But from them a great quilt will appear. Maybe more pinwheels? PS. I love your Carolina Christmas.
Oh man, I cannot bring myself to save those little trimmings! I have saved SO MANY little scraps that it's ridiculous, but not the triangles. And I won't take the time to sew them either, before trimming or not. I admire you for your diligence in this!
I haven't gotten my scraps cut up yet either. I keep going through the boxes looking for useable pieces, but no cutting occuring yet. I'm almost able to cut now, but I have to pace myself. I still have all those Disappearing 9-Patch blocks to trim! Want to come help? *wink*
Kim's fabric looks great in the exchange blocks your doing. It looks totaly different used in the blocks than on the bolt. I like it!
Pinwheels are some of my favorite blocks. Can't wait to see your red pinwheel quilt.
Post a Comment