My Carolina Christmas Mystery Quilt will have it's first California Christmas this year, 2010. This is gonna be a great year!!!
Happy Quilting Monday, January 11, 2010
What's wrong with this block?
Okay, what is wrong with this block? I started sewing my big blocks together, and what did I find? One small triangle block turned the wrong way. I caught a couple of these when I was pressing them after I had sewn them in the first part. I found another one when I put the first part of the star block together. But I looked at this one when I was sewing the rows of big blocks together, and found another twisted one. I know I looked at these blocks at least six times to check them to make sure everything was in the right configuration. And this one slipped past me. I think there was a sewing gremlin in my sewing room at night and resewed my work! I am sure of it.
I did finally get all the blocks together. I planned that I would get the top done on Saturday, but NO. Then I decided that it would be together on Sunday, and that I could get a picture to post in my blog on Sunday. But NO! The top was finally finished late last night, but not early enough in the day to get a picture outside in the almost sunshine. It is overcast this morning. The haze is burning away, slowly. When the sun started to peak through the haze, I dragged Hubby outside to hold up this top. It is so big, over 90 inches square. This picture does not show the entire top clearly because Hubby is not tall enough, nor has long enough arms, but you can see most of it.
I am not super happy with this quilt. I think it is too busy. With a two block design, I feel one block should be more predominant, or one of the blocks should blend or recede into the background, like a snowball block. With the colors I used, I feel my blocks are competing with each other instead of playing well together.
Then there was this issue with the outside border. I wanted to use one red piece for all the red squares. I cut out my six 5.5 inch squares for the last border. When I started to sew them on (the last two), I realized I needed eight squares, not just six. There was only enough fabric for six, so I used a different red for the corner squares. That worked okay, but it is just typical of what happens to me when I put a quilt together. There is always something to upset the apple cart! I did receive good grades in math in school. Honest I did. But geometry was not my favorite subject. I say this problem fell into the geometry category. I could only envision six squares, not eight!
This quilt is so heavy, and it is not quilted yet! There is a seam every two inches, and it is over 90 inches square so that means a LOT of seams. I used nearly three big spools of thread to piece this top. I was so tired last night when I was wrestling this quilt in my small space to apply the borders. I am accustomed to smaller quilts, baby and lap size. This one was hard for me to handle once all the 25 big blocks were sewn together. The UPSIDEof this issue is that it is FINISHED. I will take it to a machine quilter since it is too large for me to handle on my home machine. I am so glad it is finished. If I ever mention, again, that I want to sew a mystery quilt in December, please, please discourage me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I hate when that happens! I hope you found the mistake before you sewed the whole top together. Then again, you could have left it as your "humility" block. I always seem to have one of those.
That is one humungeous quilt! But GREAT JOB on getting it finished! Yay! Won't it feel good this Dec. when you put it on the bed?
A very great year, if that quilt is any indicator.
Glad you found the mistake before the whole quilt was being quilted.
That is a huge quilt. congratulations for finishing it. I think the pattern is strong enough and the blocks aren't competing.
Now that you are retired maybe you can change your sewing area around to have a bigger table to sew on to make it more fun with the big ones.
Pam I think it's a beautiful quilt and I don't think the blocks are fighting - they blend wonderfully well. I'm working on a wool top and I put two blocks in upside down and one sideways! Had to go back and take them out and redo, of course. It happens, but I sure wish it didn't! blessings, marlene
Another Californian here, I read your blogs often, comment seldom but that was an informative post and your Carolina Christmas is lovely. Mine is still plugging along.
LOL - I saw it right away - funny, how it can disappear when you look at it for hours. It's going to be lovely! Good and BIG job, Pam!
I think your Carolina Christmas looks great! When you get it back from the longarm (and you haven't been wrestling with it for awhile!) you will like it more! Great job!
Your Carolina Christmas quilt is gorgeous!!
That is really a pretty quilt Pam. I don't think it looks too busy at all. You are so brave to do a mystery quilt....they always scare me LOL.
Crispy
Pam, I did something similar with Orange Crush. But I never saw it until the whole quilt was together. One of my expert quilting friends asked me what I planned to do with it. Hang it, or put it on a bed. I answered -bed. She then said to leave it alone. No on would ever notice it on a bed. Hanging --maybe.
Your Carolina Christmas is gorgeous!
I know how you feel about the busy parts---I didn't do this one. But, I love how yours turned out.
I love this quilt Pam! It is a pain when the quilt gremlins get into your sewing room and wreak havoc. It's a great pattern and I thinks it's very interesting. Job well done!
I saw your blog title and thought - well there is no purple in it, that is what is wrong, LOL. I have done what you have done too many times to count. The quilt is very nice and I know you have to be pleased.
It is a very lovely quilt Pam- no purple in this one :O)
I love purple too- I am just teasing you.
You are going to have a beautiful Christmas quilt for your home- it is easy enough to have a misplaced block in a quilt this size. I have found misplaced blocks in quilts that I was ready to quilt - it is a real pain-
Happy quilting, Pam,
Regards,
Anna
Danny is looking over my shoulder and though I hate it when some does that, he has asked me to tell you he really likes this quilt. he has good taste don't you think. it really is a nice one. You are really prolific these days. I will be back, Nadine
I absolutely LOVE this quilt! What a great accomplishment--and it will be ready for this Christmas! Love your blog! Thanks for all you share!
I love it! I also wanted to make this one...but have too many other projects calling my name. I enjoyed seeing yours!
Your mystery quilt is beautiful.
Post a Comment