This last week I have been working on a strip pieced quilt that I am making for Debbi, my co-worker (I mean ex co-worker). I have been working on this quilt for a few weeks off and on, mostly off! I have also been finishing exchange blocks, some pillowcases for sick friends, AND working on Debbi's quilt. I have also finished reading a couple of books.
I have all the strips for the blocks made, so now I am assembling the blocks. There are four strips in each block. When the blocks are sewn together, they make an alternate design of pinwheels in alternate corners. I showed her the jelly roll that I purchased in this darling little tin. I wanted to get it done for her before I retired, but since that did not happen, I am trying to get it finished by her birthday for this year. I have a few months to go. This time will also be spent getting her quilt machine quilted, then the binding attached.
The picture I have attached is of nine blocks, three rows of three blocks. You can see the design patterns. I see three definite ones, the buzz saw in colored fabrics, the alternate buzz saw in the background fabric, and the little red pinwheels.
When I saw the little tin a couple of years ago, I fell in love with it. It really did not matter what was inside, I loved the tin, so it came home with me (I actually paid for it). I put it on my sewing table behind the sewing machine so that I could see it whenever I sat down at the machine. I looked at it, and looked at it, then looked at it some more. I truly enjoy that little tin. Finally, I decided that I should make a quilt for Debbi from these strips since she likes the country colors. I went to the fabric store and tried to find some of the fabrics that where in the jelly roll. Ha-ha-ha!!! That fabric line had long ago been sold. I did manage to find one piece, so I bought it all. It will go for the backing. I found an accent fabric and a background fabric that went well with the other colors, so I bought those two fabrics as well.
There was a lot of cutting involved in this pattern. Even though I used a precut jelly roll, there still was a lot more cutting to do. I took my fabric to a friend's house one day to sew. I cut pieces for this quilt almost the whole time I was there. I did get a few triangles sewn on (with the cast off pieces also sewn into little HSTs). I was determined to get some sewing done that day since I brought my machine and set it up to sew.
I have about 15 blocks sewn as of this morning. There are 80 blocks required for the pattern, so I have many more to sew together. When the blocks are sewn, then I can sew the top together. I will be so happy to have this top completed. I like the design of the pattern, but did not realize when I purchased it how much cutting and sewing there would be in such a simple design. Whew!
I wish you all a super weekend and a wonderful week ahead. Happy Super Bowl watching! And.....
Happy Quilting
14 comments:
I like that quilt! You are right, even a simple looking pattern has lots of cutting.
This quilt is going to be beautiful Pam. Even though it's a simple pattern it doesn't come across as a simple design. It's very visually appealing because you can see so many things going on in it. Have fun sewing!
Where's the purple? LOL!
That's a neat pattern - how lucky your friend is.
Very nice pattern Pam- I really like the design. Is the block complicated? I am sure it is going to be a stunning quilt.
Hope things are going well and that you are enjoying some good reading time as well.
I am off to do some beading for my sister- It is her 50 th birthday tomorrow.
Regards,
Anna
I like this one a lot. You are really a prolific quilter. I l love the red pinwheels. I hope you will post a picture of the finished product. Thanks for the nice words on my blog. You have to have seen several blocks before. I am mentally ready to put them together, but time is always at a premium as you know. Take care my friend, Nadine
I like the pattern, such an interesting looking block. Ok - so now you have to show us the tin!
Love the pattern, but I sure can see why you spent one whole day just cutting!! I'm curious about the tin too :0)
Crispy
I'm seconding Crispy - where's the tin? :) What a wonderful pattern Pam - looks terribly complicated but I'm thinking it's maybe a little easier than it looks? blessings, marlene
Oh, Pam, it is so cute. I know how much work goes into a buzzsaw block, even a simple one. I made one of those last year. Yours is even more complicated with those pinwheels. Your co-worker better appreciate all that work or I'll personally pay her a visit to take possession of this quilt!! Looking forward to our April plans. Hugs from snow country.
Hey Pam, Ran across you blog, good to see that your still quilting...I was in guild with about 9 years ago...I moved to Az and been quilting ever since...Am Pat Gudritz
I really like that pattern and it doesn't look very simple to me. It is going to be great when you get done. I hope your friend appreciates this quilt.
This is very pretty Pam. I really like the colors, but as another blogger mentioned. Where is the purple? I bet it's on the quilt backing! You are keeping busy retired!
Pam - your quilt is looking GORGEOUS! I just found your blog - very nice.
Post a Comment