Saturday, January 8, 2011

BOM Blocks

These turquoise spiderweb blocks are four of the eleven that I won at my last month's quilt guild meeting. Along with the eleven blocks, I also received four more turquoise squares to make four more blocks. I put the eleven blocks out on my bed and the four blank squares. It would be a small lap quilt. I went to the fabric store where the ladies originally purchased the turquoise fabric, and I purchased another yard of fabric so I can make a bigger quilt.
I thoroughly enjoyed sewing these blocks. I pulled out one sandwich-sized baggie from my scraps and started sewing on strips. I was having so much fun I didn't want to stop. That is what happens to me when I start sewing crumb blocks. It is addictive and I do not want to stop!
The other picture is the last $5 BOM block that I finished yesterday. This morning was the monthly meeting for the Saturday Sampler at In Between Stitches in Livermore. I overslept and we were late getting to Livermore, so I paid $5 for my block for next month.
I had issues with this month's block. I cut one of the fabrics wrong, and did not have enough fabric in the kit to recut my pices and correct my mistake. I found some brown in my stash that blended with the other fabrics, so I substituted it for the original fabric. It turned out okay I think. As a matter of fact, I like the substitution better than the original fabric. My substitution added one more fabric color to the mix.
I was lucky to find a brown fabric that worked well for this block in my stash. I do not have much brown fabric. I have brown fabric for baskets and tree trunks, but that is about all. When I need brown fabric, I make a field trip to a fabric store and purchase what I need.
I have decided to write on my calendar in the sewing room all my finishes for this year. So far I have a UFO quilt top finished, and four BOM blocks finished in the first week of January. I really want to focus on "finishes" this year. I hope that seeing my finished projects written on the calendar will motivate me to finish more. I have so many UFO projects. I have pulled them out at various times. I have written a list by category. I have many exchange blocks that I want to make into quilts. I have quilt projects partly sewn. I have four large quilts in the computer room (aka boy's bedroom) that need binding. I have several quilt tops that need quilting then binding. I have several quilt kits still in their original bags. I have mending that never seems to get done. So I think I should get busy sewing!
Happy Quilting

5 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The turquoise string blocks are so pretty Pam! They will make a great quilt.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful blocks.

Good luck on the UFOs - I think that is a neat plan to write them down for inspiration.

Crispy said...

Wow I can't even tell which brown was substituted, great match!! Hooray for making this a year of finishes and tracking your progress is a great idea!!

Crispy

Elaine Adair said...

I REALLY, REALLY, love the spiderweb blocks, with the turquoise! They look modern, graphic, and exciting. Hope you can finish it into a 'real' size.

Carrie P. said...

Catching up on your blog posts. the baby is growing so fast. I made a spider web quilt which I like a lot and your $5 block is so cool.