Sunday, October 5, 2008

Another great weekend

This has been another great weekend. Yesterday my husband and I drove to Valley Springs (in my new Honda Pilot) to attend their 4th annual quilt show. This is a small town about 120 miles north of us in the foothills. They have approximately 70 members in their guild. The show was small, but a good sampling of quilts. Didi McElroy was the featured quilter. She does beautiful applique and hand quilting. One of the ladies there said she was having a sale at her quilt shop. She gave us directions to her shop. We drove there and found the address, a home in a housing neighborhood. She has a small shop in her garage. She also does machine quilting I assume since there was a huge long arm machine in there as well. She had some fabric, some notions, and some used books and patterns from a member who had passed away. I had taken classes from this lady who had passed away, but I did not realize she lived up that way. I found a book I did not have, so that was my big purchase besides a pin. Then we went back to town and had lunch at a little Mexican restaurant. It was very good with reasonable prices. If it wasn't so far away, we would go back there often.
This guild had a beautiful opportunity quilt. It was a pictoral quilt of the history of the area. It was very well done. I bought some tickets, of course. It would be wonderful if I would win that quilt. But then, it would be wonderful if I would win ANY quilt. Have any of you won an opportunity quilt, or a quilt from a guild or a quilt show? I know someone wins these quilts. Once in a while I will see one displayed at a quilt show. The info card on the quilt indicates it was won at last year's show, or some other previous event. I always buy tickets at shows and events because I know this money supports the guilds.
Today is my day to wash, clean and do other things. I am trying to finish the binding on the crumb quilt I have been working on for a couple of years. I want to finish it so that I can donate it to Community Quilts at our guild meeting on Tuesday night. It is one of the pictures I have with this post.
The other picture is very fuzzy, I apologize. I have discovered my wonderful digital camera does not take close up pictures. So, I guess I need to upgrade my camera if I want close ups. Wanda at Exuberant Color has a great camera for close ups. She has some beautiful pictures of purple flowers and butterflies on her blog right now. Anyway, the second picture is of two quilt pins that I purchased at the last two quilt shows we have attended. The red spool is from the quilt guild from yesterday's show, the Loose Threads Quilt Guild (I love that name). The tree is from the Sonora Quilt Guild. I try to get a guild pin at the shows when they are available. That is the main reason I wanted to go to the shop in the quilter's garage. She had them for sale there. I will add these to my collection.
Until next time.....Happy Quilting

2 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

That crumb quilt is looking interesting!

Roberta said...

Hey Pam! Congrats on the new Honda Pilot. Yay for you!!! You deserve it. I definately need to make one of those crumb quilts. It's gorgeous!