Sunday, November 17, 2013
Gypsy Quilter's tuto
This little quilt is the result of a tutorial on Gypsy Quilter's blog. She provided directions in two parts for this quilt. My layout is different than her layout. I was being creative and working outside my box! Actually, a couple of friends helped me with the layout.
I had trouble with the bias edges as I did not spray starch the pieces enough. I have learned my lesson with that. Bias edges often give me grief. I know there are many quilt patterns popular currently using the tube method. You sew two fabric strips together on both long sides. Then you use a ruler and cut the strips on the diagonal. When you open up your pieces, they make half square triangle squares. The problem I find with that process is that all your outside edges of the HST units are on the bias. Not for me I fear.
The floral fabric in this quilts is busy. I was thinking outside my box and decided I would use it for this project. I think the floral has too many white flowers in the design. Maybe a dark inner border would have calmed down the floral business? I learn something from almost every project I sew. I am not sure exactly what I learned from this exercise except that I chose fabrics that did not do what I had envisioned.
There are many beautiful quilts that I have seen using these big, splashy florals. If I am going to use my big, splashy florals successfully, it will require more design knowledge than I possess at this time. But I will keep trying. Who knows, maybe I will eventually hit the jack pot!
Happy Quilting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I love the fabric you chose and like the effect of the white flowers in amongst the triangles.
I think that looks fabulous! I've seen that block before but never tackled it. I like your layout a lot, so that pattern has just moved up on my to-do list!
It's a happy quilt and I do enjoy the fabric that you used, I think you might be right in the darker tine for. An inner border, but then I like it just as it is too. Good job,
I love love this quilt.
I think that we love the quilt because we didn't have to sit and work on it and have it baffle us - we see the end product without the stress - and so we say - BRAVO - great quilt. I love how the hst make a path through the flowery fabric - again BRAVO. Well done - and I love it.
I love this quilt, Pam! I think you did a super job. And I love your big splashy print and the white fabric. It's a very summery quilt and a happy one too. And I think your setting is very creative! Wonderful job!
I think I would have done the HST's without doing the bias edges. Those edges can be a real pain. But like you say, that's a lesson learned.
I agree that the bias edge issue and that particular method of making HSTs is not the best. I've seen a few suggestions on YouTube resulting in bias edges - NOT GOOD! The end result is very pretty!
Happy .... late Thanksgiving. 8-)))
Pam, sorry so long to comment on this one! I'm with you, I will avoid the bias methods, too, but thankfully there are plenty of other ways to accomplish the hst's needed for a pattern like yours-- which is very cool, BTW! I think you have done a nice job with the large print ~
:-}pokey
Turned out great Pam!!! Love it!
Post a Comment