Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mystery Block


While searching through my bins looking for a set of blocks, I encountered this painted block.  I do not remember where it came from.  It might have been my mother's, or I might have taken a class years ago and have forgotten about it (probably the answer).  The bottom line is I do not know where or when I created/obtained this block.  Do you have any projects like this - a mystery project? 

It appears that it has been painted with fabric paint.  I heat set it today to make sure it did not bleed or fade away.  Is it possible it was made for a pillow top?  If there were more painted flowers, it could be a medallion block, maybe?  My mother and I took a fabric painting class years and years ago.  This could have been one of our projects from that class. 

Since I moved into my current sewing room, I have dived into my UFO projects with a passion.  Last month I finished a lap quilt which is being quilted at this moment.  Also I finally made a back for another Halloween quilt and took it to the quilter along with the lap size community quilt (which I also sewed together the backing).  Making backings for my quilt tops is a struggle for me.  Often all it entails is piecing two pieces of fabric together - just one seam.  That is so difficult for me to accomplish.  For me making backings for quilts is the least desirable part of making a quilt. There are several quilt tops in a pile on my sewing table (in the other room) that are needing backs.  I should invite some others quilters over and we could have a back making day.  It is possible that all my lonesome quilt tops could be made ready for quilting in one day (if I could get my act together and get them done).  Well, until then.....

Happy Quilting

2 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

It's a beautiful block Pam and would certainly make a wonderful pillow! blessings, marlene

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I've come upon a few things that I don't remember where or how I got them - funny how that happens.

I've solved the backing problem - forever. 108 inch wide good quality pre-washed perma press bleached muslin from JoAnn Fabrics - buy it by the bolt and cut off what I need. I love the white backing because it shows off the quilting so well.

Happy backing making to you!!