Sunday, June 16, 2013
Border for Batik BOM
As you can see I am working on the border for my batik UFO (that should have finished last year). I took this project to my last retreat to work on and found that the fabrics in the BOM kit for the border was short fabric. I measured all the batik pieces included in the packet for the border but could not determine what piece was for which part of the border since none of the fabrics measured the accurate amount that was written in the pattern.
It was with much regret that I put aside this project at retreat for it was clear I could not finish it without the proper amount of fabric. I finally picked up this project (well it fell at my feet if you really need to know the truth) and I decided that I could pull fabrics from my own stash and make the borders the colors that I like. So I did just that. (Such a novel idea, I know, using my own fabrics!) LOL! I remember that is why I did not sew the borders together when I finished the center unit - there was not enough fabric in the kit, which I realized a couple of months after the BOM program was over. Also, the fabrics were not the same colors as the pattern picture and there was no legend for me to know which of the fabrics in the kit were for which part of the border. I am sure the teacher told the class about the substitutions, but I was either late, or was too overwhelmed with the info to remember it.
The monthly blocks had a legend included in each packet so we knew which fabric was intended for the correct pieces in the block. There was no legend in the packet with the border fabrics (or else I lost it and did not know that I lost it).
In some of the blocks I had already substituted my own fabrics, or changed the colors with other leftover fabrics from another block. It amazes me that it took me so long to come to the conclusion that I could change the fabrics in the border as well! What a revelation! When I finally had this epiphany I immediately pulled out some of my batik fabrics, checked the measurements of the batik pieces I liked, then started cutting out the border pieces.
Each day since my epiphany I have been squeezing out (at least) "15 minutes a day" to work on this border. I have been surprised at how much sewing I have accomplished in such a short time span. There are 32 blocks in the border plus lattice units (which I have yet to sew together). When all those parts are sewn, then I can assemble the top, bottom, and side borders and sew them to the center unit. Hopefully they will all fit! BIG LOL!
Until then.....
Happy Quilting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow - what a project - I can't wait to see it finished. Love the colors.
I know I do the same thing - I just freeze up on a project because it's not going smoothly. Then at some future point, I experience an epiphany like you did!
Looks like you've gotten past your sticking point and gotten a move on - good for you! It just might turn out better for using your own choices of fabrics!
Glad you're squeezing out some time to sew. It makes the rest of life more bearable, doesn't it? Good luck!
Post a Comment