Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Center of Batik BOM
Last Saturday I picked up the final block for this BOM project. I now have all the blocks sewn together to make the center of the quilt. I am now working on the pieced borders. I am hoping I have enough background fabric to finish this project. We were given yards of the background fabric a few months ago. We were told to use it wisely because that was all the fabric we would receive.
I have been thrifty (so I thought) with my background fabric. I have a couple of yards left for the borders. I hope I have enough to sew the pieced border, and the two strip borders. I have hesitated cutting into this last piece of background fabric, but if I am to complete this quilt top I must overcome my hesitation and dive in!
Question:
Our quilt guild is planning a quilt show for this July. I have volunteered to help. I found out last night that all our members will be required to pay the admission fee ($10), including those members who are helping with the show.
Recently I have talked with many different guild members of the quilt shows we have attended. None of these guilds require their members to pay an admission fee if they are helping with the quilt show.
My question to you: does your guild require all your members to pay an admission fee at your quilt shows, including the members who are helping with the show?
Your response to this question is appreciated.
I hope the rest of the week is enjoyable for you and yours.
Happy Quilting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Nice quilt so far! I hear you about the fabric worries. I just did a pieced border and had the same worry. I just squeaked by - did have to piece it together for the last few pieces!
Oh, I remember that group tried that a number of years ago. I ignored them. I waited until the ladies at the admissions table were busy and just walked right on by. No way was I gonna pay to work. Bad me!
I think that's a crazy idea. I asked the ladies in the guild here what they thought of that and they were aghast that you would have to pay to work the show. This guild doesn't even charge the members to view the show. Members just get to walk in, for whatever reason. I like that.
By the way, there are no sleeves required for our show. They use skirt hangers here and just clip the quilts to them. I think that's brilliant! Fast, easy and no silly sleeves. And the hangers are reusable!
Oh, sorry to write a novel here!
I am in 2 guilds. If you are helping you do not have to pay but if you come in just like other visitors you do. I think $10 is a lot to pay for a local quilt show. $6 or $7 maybe but not $10. I know guilds raise the money for your speakers but it sounds like your guild is being a little greedy especially when it comes to the members that volunteer their time to put on the show.
The blocks are wonderful - can't wait to see the whole thing - so get in there and cut girl!
I don't belong to a guild so I can't comment on that - but the price seems a bit steep for a quilt show - some we don't have to pay for at all - and some are 3-5.00 - and we live in an area where prices for almost everything are above most other places.
The blocks are wonderful - can't wait to see the whole thing - so get in there and cut girl!
I don't belong to a guild so I can't comment on that - but the price seems a bit steep for a quilt show - some we don't have to pay for at all - and some are 3-5.00 - and we live in an area where prices for almost everything are above most other places.
There are some very interesting block designs in your quilt. I like how the pinwheel blocks look like they are floating.
Love your quilt in process! 8-))
Our guild quilt show is free, and we hope for donations from visitors. All Guild members are expected to contribute in "some way", items for silent auction, time and energy, or help at the show, etc. Unfortunately, not everyone does it but there is no checklist. $10.00 for your own members is ridiculous. If they have not contributed anything, then pay something, but $10.00 is waaay too high. I wouldn't pay that much for any show.
You know, I can't remember but I will find out in October when we have our show. Our admission is $5, at least that was the amount in the past. I don't remember having to buy a ticket. We have a preview night, when just members are allowed to come and ribbons given out - that is free to all members and their guests. This year, for the first time, we are having to pay a fee to put our quilts in the show!
Pam, Your Center Batik BOM is gorgeous! It sparkles with the white background fabric. Our local guild does let members browse the show if they helped set up the quilts and etc.
However, they now charge $10.00 to see the show which in my personal opinion is a lot for a small local show.
I have not attended for the last couple of years. I would like to support the guilds efforts, but if my husband goes with me, and our daughter, and granddaughter (at our invitation) That's $40.00 for all of us to attend, and if my sister comes up from the bay area, or ? Well you get the picture. We all used to go together every year, but It's too expensive now. and I feel funny inviting them, and then asking them to pay $10.00.
I don't know why, but when something like this comes up where prices have been raised beyond the normal scope for a small local quilt show, I think about "remember what happened to Netflix when they priced themselves out of the game and members rebelled"---I'm a rebel anyway when it comes to marching with the lead drummer!
I think if your working at the show you should not have to pay to get in or least make it 1/2 prices as a reward for helping.
too many members don't want to help with the quilt shows.
Hi Pam, glad you came by. Just want to say that a purple featherweight sounds awesome! How about posting on your blog or sending a picture so I can see. I hope all is well, Nadine
Our guild leaves it up to the member. I worked one day and attended one day. I chose to pay admission for both days because I wanted the show to be successful. The admission was $7.00. Other members might choose to not pay for the days they work and that is fine. It's a large guild.
One guild that I'm in "encourages" members to pay at least the one day admission charge, even if they are working. Not required to pay, but "encouraged" to. I gave them the price of the multiday pass. That is the first time I've ever been asked to pay to work. I think charging members who are working will discourage some from doing any volunteer work.
Post a Comment