Sunday, May 20, 2012

One Down, Three to Go



This is my Shadow Churn Dash quilt that I made from a friendship group challenge.  I finished the binding on it today.  I posted pictures of the blocks in process back in 2010.  I finished it and it was quilted in 2011.  Our quilt guild is having a quilt show in July so I finally got busy applying the binding.  I have three more quilts that need binding, and sleeves. 

Now that the binding is done, I will get the sleeve constructed and sewn on.  I normally do not apply sleeves to my quilts.  Since it is going into a show, the quilts all need sleeves so that they can be hung on frames at the show.  I am enjoying the hand stitching, but my hands are getting sore.  I need to take breaks now and then.  I cannot stitch all day anymore so I take breaks.  Sometimes I will stitch for a couple of hours in the evening, then sew a couple more hours the next day. 

Yesterday at our LAFS (Ladies Academy Finishing School) meeting I stitched on binding during some of the time I was there.  I think I spent more time table hopping and socializing than I did stitching!  LOL!

Happy Quilting

13 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have always like those shadow designs. Congrats of finishing it. I agree hand sewing in short sessions is better. Then it isn't as boring either.

Karen said...

I know it is a good feeling to have it done.

Kathy S. said...

Awesome! I love the way the background colors made another churndash! Cute cute.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Another beautiful quilt Pam! I haven't stitched in about 3 weeks now but tonight I'm going to work on some embroidery. blessings, marlene

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Divine!!!!!

Carrie P. said...

I remember that quilt. Wow! a finish. Congrats. Love it.

Teresa said...

Congrats on finishing a beautiful quilt. Good luck in your show.

em's scrapbag said...

I love churn dashes! Love yours! the way the big on shadows in the background is wonderful!

antique quilter said...

beautiful quilt I am so drawn to secondary designs and using the block to do the work for you.
Yes I can no longer sit and hand sew for hours anymore either.
its good for us to take breaks, bindings I still have a few more to do too!

Kathie

Elaine Adair said...

Cooool! I've wanted to make one of these quilts since I bought the book about 50 !!! years ago! Good that YOU have done it ... one of these days .... sigh

SueR said...

What a cool quilt, Pam! Like Elaine, I've always wanted to try one of those shadow quilts. I saw a maple leaf one that was very pretty.

If you weren't putting the quilt in a show, would you still put a sleeve on it? Some of us here either attach our sleeves with safety pins or we use one of those mini tac guns. I always worry that those little plastic tacs will come undone, but they never have. It beats doing the sleeve by hand when I know I'm taking it back off after the show. Just a thought.

Angie said...

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt!! Not only is the Churn Dash block my favorite quilt block BUT Purple is one of my Favorite colors---Exceptionally delicious! :)

Patty Cramer said...

This is an awesome quilt. Can you tell me where you got the pattern??? otterpc@aol.com Thanks in advance!!!