Monday, December 21, 2009

Merry Christmas

This is a picture of the mystery ornament we made on Saturday at the Quilting 101 workshop. I gave this one to Julie when we met for breakfast yesterday along with some chocolate chip cookies. I made 60 of these a few years ago and gifted them to the staff at school. I had stars on top of those trees. I tried to find a star to put on Julie's tree, but I could not find one that was large enough in my stash of stuff. I must have used them all on the staff ornaments. Bummer! I think it is cute anyway.
This picture is of the paper origami quilt that my friend Monica made for me for my birthday. Isn't it darling? She made it in my favorite color combination: purple and turquoise. I just love it. She is really into origami and I am certainly happy about that! You should see the hexahedron she makes (I know that may not be a real word, but I cannot spell the real word because I don't really remember what it is)! They are open work round thingy dingys that are way cool.
Here is a picture of the two blocks I have done for Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Christmas Mystery Quilt. I have not completed step four, but I couldn't wait to see the two blocks sewn up, so I completed a couple of each block. There is so much sewing on step four. Maybe it seems like so much because I am close to the end and want to see it all done before Christmas.

So many little pieces to sew together. I cut very carefully, and I sewed very carefully, but still some of those little units are not the same size. My sewing machine likes to chew up the edges of my triangles, so between the cold and the machine, I am likely to toss it all out the window if I cannot get it done pretty soon!

Did I mention that our heater is nonfunctioning? I called our gas company and reported a gas smell. A nice fellow came out and checked the heater, the whole house, and the gas line outside. He determined that our heater was dangerous and turned off the gas to the heater. My hubby bought a new heater on Saturday so now we must find someone who can put it in and check all the stuff the gas man said needed checking, and possibly replacing. So.......we have not had any heat in the house since last Friday. I know 50 degrees is not really cold to many people, especially those in the east who are experiencing a terrible snow storm, but 50 degrees is cold to me here in sunny California! The only way I can get my feet warm is to go to bed and turn on the electric mattress pad. I honestly do not want to get out of bed in the mornings because it is so nice and warm under the covers. I apologize for whining since I know so many other folks across the nation are so much colder than I am. Wanda told me last week it was -5 degrees where she lives. OMGoodness! Way too cold for me.

Wherever you live, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And.....

Happy Quilting

9 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

I just love my little tree you gave me, Pam, even without a star on top. It is hanging in my kitchen window. After 41 years together, Honey & I didn't put up the tree this year since we'll only be home for a few days. But your ornament ( and the yummy cookies) have made our holiday jolly and bright! Thank you so much. Hope you stay warm and have a wonderful Christmas, dear friend.

Carrie P. said...

Pam your little tree is so cute. I haven't ever seen one done like that before.
Oh, the paper origami is so cool. What a very ice present. You have a December birthday too? So many bloggers do.
I saw another blogger doing the mystery quilt too. My sewing machine will eat the triangle too if I am not careful. I have to lift the presser foot a lot.
Hope you get our heater fixed soon. We got 8" of snow and sleet this past weekend. Brrr!!
Merry Christmas to you too.

Crispy said...

Bummer on the triangle eating!! Love the origami piece.

Merry Christmas to you and yours :0)

Crispy

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Stay warm and have a wonderful Christmas!

our shabby cottage said...

Hi Pam, the little Christmas tree is cute. But I can imagine after making 60 I would not want to see another one for a while!!! Wishing you and your family a very happy and safe Christmas and New Year. Hugs, Kathryn.

Roberta said...

Merry Christmas Pam! Hope you get heat soon. Always love the yoyo christmas tree ornament. Monica is pretty amazing at the origami thing! What a nice gift for your birthday! Hope to see you soon!

Kim D. said...

Very cute tree and the origami is nice too. Your blocks are pretty.. Your mystery quilt blocks are coming along nicely. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. Happy New Year!!

Tazzie said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year Pam. I love your mystery blocks - I hope to make some of my own soon.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Carrie P. said...

Happy New Year, Pam.