Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Challenging Retreat

This last weekend I attended a quilt retreat. We had a wonderful time. There were many projects finished, started and finished, and all parts in between.
My major project was to complete my guild retreat challenge quilt, and I did it! Our guidelines were: black and white with one other color, and no side to be longer than 24 inches. I took all the black and white fabrics I could find in my stash, and some orange fabrics. I also took a BOM that I bought last year and have not sewn yet. I started on my challenge on Friday, and finished it Saturday evening. I worked on my pumpkin blocks on Sunday. I did not get to the BOMs, again.
I was thinking of Wanda all the time I was working on my challenge quilt. I wanted something artsy, but not a miniature. With the restrictions on size, there was not a lot of room. I made a strata, and then started cutting it up. I wanted some circles and gradations. I saw a quilt in A New Twist on Strips and Curves book by Louisa Smith that sparked my interest. It was a lot bigger and had much more going on in the design elements than my quilt, but the design started me thinking. I really like my quilt and am excited that it is my own design.
I have included some pictures of some projects from the retreat. I will post additional pictures in my next post as I don't think I can get them all in this post. There are great stories that go with these quilts. One of these stories is of the Amish Roman stripe quilt. The quilter said that she started that quilt 16 years ago. She just about finished it at retreat. It was so gratifying to see it get to this stage for her, and for the rest of us also. This gives me hope that I will get my big applique quilts finished some day! There is hope for them all!
Happy Quilting

10 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Congrats on the challenge piece...you have a lot going on and lots of movement. like it...look like it was fun to do as well. Aren't retreats great!

Karen said...

Your black & white quilt is stunning. I see you managed to get the purple in!

Sharon said...

Your challenge quilt looks great - good job!

Waaah! I sure missed you guys. I'm sure you had more fun than I did! But thanks for sharing pictures.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great black and white and one other color quilt - all the photos were grand.

Crispy said...

I LOVE the Amish strip quilt, very striking. Is the black and white one yours? I thought you mentioned using orange (WHAT no purple? LOL). Anyway, love the black and white one too.

Crispy

StitchinByTheLake said...

Beautiful quilts - I love retreats because there's so much to see! blessings, marlene

Teresa said...

I like your quilt too! Great job. Thanks for sharing all the pictures. So fun to see what people come up with in their quilting.

Carrie P. said...

Wow, looks like you had a fun time and got a lot accomplished. Great show of quilts.

Karen said...

Good for you! Wonderful black and white quilt.

Angie said...

Ohhh---I like your black and white quilt! Nice design. Sounds like we both had retreats this month. Such fun to get away and just stitch with friends. All the photos are great!