Today I actually arrived at the quilt shop before it opened, so I was one of the first to get my ticket for my $5.00 block. Since I arrived on time, and had my block from last month with me (finished), I was able to receive next month's block kit for free. I did not need to pay $5.00 for it. I know the next two months I will need to pay because I cannot be at the meetings, but at least today I made it. Hubby and I were up early and on our way. It is about a 35 minute drive from our house to the quilt shop. If the traffic through the pass is heavy, of course it takes longer. With the Bay Bridge closed for the weekend, I was afraid the traffic everywhere else would be really bad, but not so this morning.
The teacher of this class had her finished quilt with all the $5.00 blocks with her today. It is in purple, and very nice. All the blocks are on point. I thought I remembered that from the picture I saw of them before I signed up for the activity. Her quilt was so pretty in purple! Oooooohhhhh! She placed her nine blocks on point in the center without sashing, then placed four other basket blocks in each corner. Very interesting design.
There is no set design for these blocks. They are nine different blocks the teacher picked from the book we are using. So, all our quilts should look different depending on what design we decide to use when we put the quilt together. I hope that there will be a "reunion" of all the participants so we can see what different designs were used for these nine blocks. Of course, these nine blocks could be combined with other blocks to make a quilt that would be uniquely different that anyone else's design.
At the first meeting of this $5.00 quilt group, there were a few ladies who brought their finished quilts to share who had participated in a previous $5.00 quilt group. The quilts were all very different and very nice.
The picture I have included in this post is my sample for the Shop Hop Bag class I am teaching for my quilt guild this coming Friday evening at Camp Stitches. It is an easy bag to sew. It is large enough to keep things that you may need while shop hopping, but small enough to tuck under your arm. The strap is long so it goes over your shoulder, or if you make it a little longer you can throw it over your head and be hands free to grab your purchases with each hand! For avid shoppers, I think this is good!
Happy Quilting
6 comments:
Good for you, Pam. Can't wait to see your blocks made up. I love basket quilts.
Hooray on finally getting a free block LOL. The tote is really cute Pam, I'm one that would not need the long handle as I tend to buy fat quarters. I too look forward to seeing your blocks :0)
Crispy
Yay for the free $5.00 block - and that bag is wonderful.
Glad you finally got the free block! It sounds like it will be a lovely quilt. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. I'm with Julie - I love basket quilts.
Love your little bag. It looks handy to have, and very pretty.
I just have to laugh about the free block. I remember the posts when you first signed up and the discussion about a free quilt for $5. Success at last! As an occasional shop hopper, your bag is very appealing. Like that fabric too.
That's a very cute bag, Pam. Is it a commercial pattern? Good for you getting to the shop in time. Love your latest purple applique, too.
Post a Comment