Friday evening the staff at my school gave a teacher, and myself, a retirement party. Yes, I finally decided to retire. I had a difficult time deciding to really retire this year. Since I attended the party and accepted the gifts, I guess I am retiring. Either that, or return the gifts. I certainly am not willing to return the quilt that they made and gave me. It is wonderful. It is purple, of course! There are pictures of my favorite Hollywood hunks: Patrick Swayze, Sean Connery, Cary Grant, and many others. There are lots of squares with well wishes and wonderful drawings. It is such a special gift.
I also received another quilt from a retired teacher last week. I helped her pick the colors for her first quilt years ago. I also made a signature quilt for her and two other teachers who retired that year (10 years ago). She brought the quilt last week and told me since I had helped her with her first quilt, and made a signature quilt for her, she felt is was only right that she return the favor. Does that mean that every person I have gifted with a quilt is going to make a quilt for me in return? I can only hope!
Also, today my hubby and I took off to Santa Rosa for their quilt show. It is a nice show. There were quilts displayed from various styles. There were some beautiful applique quilts, pieced quilts, a couple of "art" quilts, and some children's quilts. The vendors were varied as well. I bought a pair of Gingher scissors. I could not resist - they were on SALE! I did not buy any fabric, but I did buy a couple of books.
After we left the quilt show, we went on a drive to find one of my PIF giftee's. We found her home at the end of a very narrow, curvey road up a hill. It is a beautiful place that is quiet and green. She is a very sweet lady with very nice husband. He was home and they were both very gracious to us even though we were surprise visitors.
We then went to Willy Bird's Restaurant in Santa Rosa. It is one of the places we have seen on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives show. We each had a delicious turkey dinner. My hubby wanted to get to Santa Rosa really early and have breakfast at Hank's Creekside Restaurant, but we did not get up early enough. It is an hour and a half drive to Santa Rosa from were we live. We decided to have a late lunch instead of a late breakfast.
Yesterday I went to In Between Stitches in Livermore for the first meeting of the $5.00 quilt BOM. I was up early, showered and dressed ready to go at 8:00 a.m. but hubby slept in and did not get up and ready early enough. I was 20 minutes late for the class and missed all the rules and instructions. I received my book and the fabric for this month's block, but I am in the dark about the rest. I talked to the teacher before I left the store. I must be on time next meeting (not until August) or I will be charged $5.00 for the next month's BOM if I come in with my finished block from this month. I started off badly. I hope I can redeem myself next meeting.
It has been a busy couple of weeks. This coming week is our last week of school with students. I work another week after school is out, then it is summer break, oh I mean RETIREMENT! I am nervous and excited at the same time!
Have a great week, and .....
Happy Quilting
9 comments:
Congratulations on your retirement. I think you will enjoy a calmer schedule and more time to sew.
How wonderful to be retired, I'm envious. Personally, I feel it's rather lame to be charged the $5 if you are late, even though you have your block done...sheesh, life happens (sleepy hubby). Did you get a rules sheet? If it doesn't say you HAVE to be on time, I'd refuse to pay the $5.
The purpose of these $1 or $5 BOMs is to get people to come to the shop and hopefully buy stuff, making a person mad does not make you want to spend money.
OK off my soap box LOL.
Crispy
OMGosh girl - you are off on a REALLY big adventure. 8-)) I hope your posts will include something about adjusting, if you need to, or loving it, or ??? Since I am still working P/T, I'm wondering how to get to full time retirement and frankly, it scares me willy nilly!
Enjoy, enjoy - you're starting with a good trip with DH. Have fun!
Ooooo....I'm excited for you, Pam. You made the big decision! Retirement is awesome. Well, at least now that Hubby & I have finally adjusted and come to some agreement on household duties and such. I will admit, the first few months were a bit trying at times. LOL!
Hi Pam, congratulations on your retirement. I think you will know you have made the right decision soon enough. It is always hard leaving a place that you have been for many years. What a wonderful gift your quilt was. All those memories and colleagues signing it for you. Time to enjoy the next phase of your life now. Kathryn.
There are SIGNATURES on some of those hunky Hollywood photographs!!! Woohoo! What a treasure (even without the autographs!). Congratulations on your new status of retiree. I hope you find it agrees with you :- )
What an awesome quilt you were gifted! Whooeee! And cute guys too. With autographs! What a treasure!
I think you'll enjoy retirement, but yes, there is an adjustment period. You can get through it - it's not as bad as a bad day at work, mostly. *grin* Exciting and a little scary, but worth it! And hopefully lots more time for quilting.
Hope your BOM goes better from now on. Good luck!
Good for you!!! I will be joining the retirement ranks in another 3 years and am so excited at the prospect. I wish you many wonderfuls year of doing exactly what you want to do! Schools out for summer...and winter....and... spring....Yea!
Congratulations on your retirement. Your purple quilt is lovely.. What nice friends you have.
I love your purple spa bag.. Looking forward to seeing more purple quilts.
Post a Comment