Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sashing choices

I am trying to decide which color to use for the sashing between my bear's paw blocks. It will be one inch finished, with a red square in the center, as in the purple sashing picture. I originally thought the lime green fabric would be good, but now that I have bear paw blocks made with my bright stripe, I am not so sure. I like the orange, but what you see is all I have of that fabric. I am sure it is not enough for all the sashing. I like the blue, and I certainly like the purple. There is some blue, and a little purple in the stripe as it blends from color to color. I want to use the red as the corner square. It will finish one inch. I could use a different color for the corner squares, but I like the red. I thought of using it as the sashing, but then I decided that was too much red. There is a lot of red in the stripe. I liked the red when I put it there between the blocks. It plays well with all the colors. I think purple plays well, too, with everything! What do you think (not about the purple playing well, but the sashing color)?
Yesterday, hubby and I took off to Manteca for their annual quilt show. It was a nice show with lots of different quilts. I saw three quilts with the same design as my mystery quilt. One was finished with the border treatment I want to use with my Valentine's quilt. I need to get back to that quilt and finish it. Time, it just takes time. I also need to get some other gifts finished as well.
I have so many things partly finished. I don't consider them UFOs yet because I am going to finish them soon since I have a purpose for them all. I consider a UFO (for me) a project that gets put under the sewing table, or in a box or bag in the closet. When it has aged a bit, then it becomes a UFO. I also have completed quilt tops under my sewing table, and various other places in the house. I don't really consider them UFOs because they are "finished" tops. They may never get quilted. But if they do, then they become another "finished" project. They get two chances to be "finished" in my sewing space!
But I digress, back to reality - before we arrived at the quilt show, we stopped at our favorite eatery in Livermore, the Railroad Cafe, to eat breakfast. They moved locations in February since the folks who owned the space they were in decided to evict all the businesses and build an open amphitheater (?) in the middle of town. The quilt store, In Between Stitches, had to move as well. They moved over to Main Street, just on the other side of the parking lot where they were previously located. After breakfast I stopped in there to pick up a couple of BOMs that they had for me. I failed to remember that this is a "Shop Hop" weekend. The store was packed. I almost decided not to go in, but we do not get out that way very often, so I braved the crowd and picked up my Block of the Month packets, as well as a few yards of a light batik (with purple).
After we went to the quilt show, we stopped at a new little quilt store in Manteca, Ladybug Quilts. I had not been there before. In their bargain area, I found some more of the Hungry Caterpillar fabric that I could not find anywhere in my area when I was making my three baby quilts earlier this year, so I bought some more. I have three Hungry Caterpillar panels left from my flurry of Hungry Caterpillar quilts. When my daughter saw the last quilt I made, she said, "Oh mom, save me one. I really like this quilt". Well, those words were all I needed to go on another hunt for Hungry Caterpillar fabrics! From the fabrics I have left, I am sure there is more than enough for a couple more quilts!
This weekend we lost an hour to "Daylight Savings Time". Most people consider it an hour of sleep lost, but I consider it an hour of sewing time lost, so I must get busy sewing. Have a great week. Take care, stay healthy, stay happy. Most of all...
Happy Quilting

16 comments:

dot said...

I would choose the purple.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

wow - what a blazing bright quilt - quite lovely. I think the orange really makes it sparkle.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the purple works best because it is the only color in the rainbow not already in the block. Now it is complete. My second choice is the lime green but it separates the quarters where the purple holds them together. Depends on what look you are after.

Joyce said...

I really like the blue, but after looking at them again, I think I like the purple.

Donna said...

so many options... what about doing each strip of sashing in a different colour? :-)-- just being difficult I am :-)

Quiltldy said...

Even though we share a love of purple, I liked the blue the best. I though it made the block pop better than the purple.

Brenda said...

definitely the purple, and I'm not just saying that because you like purple. It just has the best feeling.

Roberta said...

Purple...'nuf said!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Pam,
I like the Purple or the blue ones best- they give you a place to rest your eyes. It is a very pretty block and will make a terrific quilt.
The Hungry caterpillar books are so much fun- I am not sure we ever had the fabric here - I saw it in the magazines - it would make a great baby gift.
In the newest Fons and Porter they have Brown Bear Brown Bear fabric and it is wonderful. I may try to find it as I do that book every year with my Kindergarten kids.

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend in spite of the crowds.

Be well,
Regards,
Anna

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I like the blue with the red corner squares or all orange. Beautiful bear paw fabric.

Kucki68 said...

I like the purple best with your blocks.

Angie said...

I'm afraid to say any color except Purple! :o)

Teresa said...

I like the blue, simply because I don't see any purple in the block and I think the purple will really stand out since it is not in the block anywhere - in other words, you will see the sashing and not the block. I really think you could go with just about any of the colors as long as it is a dark value. It sure is a great quilt!!!

Norma said...

The purple talks to me but I am color challenged!

What ever you choose, it will be wonderful.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Have you thought of using black with your colors as cornerstones? Love the bright fabrics! blessings, marlene

Sharon said...

I like both the purple AND the blue! Wonder why? And I like what Wanda said about it. But I also like the idea of mixing up all those colors (green, orange, blue) for the blocks, then maybe using the purple between the blocks. Just to be difficult...!

I agree with your theory of UFOs and employ the same methodology in my quilt studio!

Thanks for the info on the QS in Livermore. I didn't know that!