Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wild and Crazy Class

Last Saturday our quilt guild held a class with Cathie Hoover, from Mo-o-o-o-o-odesto. She is the self proclaimed Queen of Rick Rack. She has this wonderful Wild and Crazy Quilt. She taught us her method for sewing together her wild and crazy quilt block. She provided curved templates for the block at class. It was so much fun seeing everyone's fabrics, and how they were putting them together in this block. I want to do the 16 blocks for a quilt, with embellishments. I purchased some wonderful large rickrack in anticipation of this class. Cathie also brought some rickrack we could purchase, of which I did (of course). I have a few other trims and ribbons, but it is the rickrack that I adore. My pictures are of my one block (in parts), and Cathie's Wild and Crazy Quilt that she had hanging at class. She was also our program presenter at our September guild meeting. That was a great meeting, too, by the way. Cathie is teaching this class in January, 2009, at the Road to California Quilt Conference in So. California.
Cathie is also a breast cancer survivor. She has designed a darling cow quilt block (pictured above). You can get a copy of this block from her by sending her a check for $5 which she will then donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research. To find out more about Cathie, visit her website, http://www.cathiehooverstudios.com/. She has some wonderful cow themed quilts that are whimsical and colorful. I think red is her neutral color!

7 comments:

quiltmom anna said...

HI Pam,
It looks like a really fun class- I love the purple rick rack- It is amazing how things come and go out of style. That rick rack looks large- I am not sure I have seen any that wide here.
Hope things are going well at school. Life is busy here- school is off to a good start and I have begun a winding ways quilt too.
Happy crazy quilting,
Regards,
Anna

Sharon said...

Pam, I was wondering where you were! That looks like it was a fun class, and what a fun quilt that is! I love that rick rack too - especially the LARGE stuff! Kathie Hoover had one of her cow quilts in the Pacific Northwest Quilt Fest too. I'll have to look at her web site. Thanks for the link.

Julie in the Barn said...

What fun! I just love bright colors and quilts with a lot going on. Hope your school year is off to a good start.

ps:the purple surprise quilt is yours, of course!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you took time to post. I was worried about you and just ready to email you to see that you were OK. That looks like it was a fun class. I haven't put rick rack on a quilt since the 70's but I still have some LOL. I hope you get a chance to make some more blocks soon.

Teresa said...

I was trying to see on the picture but I could not make it out. How does she sew the rickrac down? Does she go right down the middle or on both sides, catching the points?

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love that cow - how fun she is! blessings, marlene

Mary Johnson said...

Love your block - the rick rack looks great!