Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Kaleidoscope Concerns



This is a picture of my kaleidoscope quilt top as far as I have sewn it.  My kaleidoscope journey started a few years ago with a kaleidoscope quilt that I saw on Elaine's blog.

When I pulled my fabrics together, I liked what I had selected.  When I cut the pieces, I liked what I had selected.  When I sewed the blocks together, I liked what I had selected.  I recently sewed the corner triangles onto the kaleidoscopes to make them square.  I decided I wanted a light and a dark fabric for the corners.  I sewed these pieces on, then I sewed the blocks together into rows, then into the quilt top.

Here is where my journey has come to a stopping point.  When I look at all these blocks together, they look so busy.  There does not seem to be a definitive look similar to the other kaleidoscope quilts I have seen.  Mine seems to be mushy, or too busy, or not enough...something.   I cannot seem to put my finger on the problem I am having.  I was going to sew on a neat border with half kaleidoscopes in the center of the borders, and on each corner.  Now I am not sure if I should just sew on some semi-solid looking fabrics, or what.

Through this entire journey I have really enjoyed all parts of of it until I sewed the rows all together.  When I looked at this quilt at that point, all of a sudden I thought, "I do not like it".  I am not sure why I do not like it as much as I did when I started this quilt.

What do you think is lacking in this top?  How do you think I could improve it, without taking it apart in any way? 

11 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think a dark first border might bring out the darks that are in the blocks and it will have more life - something different than any of the dark prints that are already in the quilt.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wanda's advice is perfect Pam! I love the quilt and the colors. You did an awesome job.

Pokey said...

Pull out your purples, Pam, I think they would really suit this beauty!
:-}pokey

Sharon said...

I like it! But I think I see what you don't like. And I think Wanda's advice is just right too. A purple in a border will make those other purples in the quilt pop.

Barb said...

I absolutely LOVE it Pam! I love the circle pattern that jumps to the fore front! I would add a narrow dark purple first border if you wanted to stop the flow and then another border. If you add half blocks then the design will continue into the border--what do you desire?
I just absolutely love it! Excellent creation! (Now that I am back at work, I seem to be catching up on my blogs--maybe I can get back to my own! Funny how I seem to have more time, because I have to have more time mangement!)

quiltmom anna said...

I am with Wanda- A deep purple border would bring out those purples that you so dearly love..
I think it is a wonderful quilt and will make a beautiful addition to any bed that it happens to cover.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Carrie P. said...

I think it is stunning. My eyes are wandering all over the quilt to see each section.
Like the others have said maybe the border will make it where you will like it.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohhh I like it!!!! I love the different designs that appear as you move your eyes across the quilt - just lovely.

Elaine Adair said...

Elaine here! I DO think a strong dark border on the outside and then another narrow border inside of that - not sure of color, would work fine. Can't tell from the photo, but that dark block on the right side in the photo seems to need another dark block on the other side for balance.

By now (9/21) you probably have it finished - can't wait to see it DONE. Your colors are fabulous - I KNOW a border will finish it to perfection. All the various colors encourage the viewer to LOOK and see what is happening - I LIKE that in a quilt. Borders ALWAYS DO WONDERS!!! when we think our quilt top "needs" something.

antique quilter said...

I really like what you have done, the colors draw your eye in to see the fabrics, great choices...your eye moves allover the quilt and thats what you want with this design. I have to agree a great dark purple in the first border will help a lot , will bring the darks you already have in their.
just mho
Kathie

em's scrapbag said...

I'm with everyone else, a dark purple border really add to this quilt. It really is nice and I think you may be being a little hard on yourself.