Friday, February 3, 2012

Pick-It Fences

All my friendship exchange blocks are sewn together. This picture only shows part of the center portion. The borders need to be added yet. I am going to my Saturday Sampler class tomorrow. The quilt shop there has lots of the new "designer" style fabrics. They are bright and cheerful. I am hoping I can find one I like with my quilt top.
This quilt is going to be larger than I had originally thought it would be. I laid it over my king size bed and it almost covered the entire top of our bed, and I haven't added the borders yet. I am so glad to have these blocks sewn together.
I want to sew any new exchange blocks together as soon as possible after I get them home. I don't want them to become another UFO project. This year I am determined not to produce anymore unsewn block sets or UFOs. I figure if I do not add anymore UFOs to my list, then any UFO I complete will put me on the plus side. Eventually I will have only a few unsewn projects left. Many of those will never become quilts as I took the classes to learn a new technique, not necessarily to produce a new quilt.
A few years ago I took a class from Doreen Speckman. From that class I produced two fish blocks. I learned her Peaky and Spike method. I wanted to take a class from her and it did not matter what the subject matter was, I just wanted to experience her as a teacher. I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I have a signed book plus two darling whale/dolphin (?) blocks completed. I may never put those two blocks into a quilt, or a wallhanging, but I have great memories of Doreen and her fun class. I do not consider those two blocks as a UFO, maybe orphan blocks, but not UFO blocks.
Happy Quilting

11 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Orphan blocks make great pillows, or with batting and that reflective fabric a wonderful pad to sit a hot pan on. I've seen some gorgeous ones framed or, with a border, a cute mug rug. They don't have to me UFOs or even orphan blocks. Now I just need to take that advice! :) blessings, marlene

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

After a while, when I tire of looking at them, I give my orphan blocks to a friend who loves to make quilt tops of them - and I love to get rid of them. LOL

Love the pretty bright top.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Pam,
I think I would loved Doreen's class too- It is so sad that she has passed away.
All blocks help us on our quilt journey- some are not meant to be put in a quilt- just ones for us to experiment and create.
Hope all is well with you and yours. Your new quilt is coming along beautifully.
How are your grandbabies?
Warmest regards,
Anna

Pokey said...

This is so bright and cheery, I've admired this one from a magazine, right? I hope you can find the piece to make you smile, and have a grand new finish for the year!
:-}pokey

Elaine Adair said...

Jes' wanted to say "hey"!

The first quilt class I ever signed up for was for Doreen's, but the class was cancelled because the poor woman ... well you know.

I was devastated, but it turned out OK because I was so "green" I could never have figured anything out at that time. But I HAVE her books.

Finn said...

Your quilt top looks awesome. Lots of drama from a simple design! It should be fun finding just the right border fabric.
I am a big Doreen Speckman fan, so sad that she died sooo young. She's a WI gal, you know *VBS*
I think your "fishy" blocks would be great in an orphan quilt or even as little wall hangings. Hugs, Finn

Carrie P. said...

Wow! a quilt big enough for a king bed. It is beautiful.

Carrie P. said...

Oh, how is your sewing room coming along?

Teresa said...

Enjoyed reading through your recent posts and seeing some of your great projects. Did you find a home for the sewing machine?

Unknown said...

Thank you for your stop by the Pins and Needles site and leaving your nice comment...
I know about orphan blocks I have tons of them from block swaps I have held.. great ideas :O)
M

Sharon said...

Wow, love that quilt top! I've got it on my "bucket list" for someday. I love those bright cheery colors.

Great idea for the exchange blocks. I have quite a few still waiting for something to be done with them. And you know how they are - they sit in your quilt studio and send out those "nag, nag" thoughts to you!