Saturday, July 9, 2011

Snowbound is found

During all this reorganization of my sewing room I have been finding lost/forgotten items. Maybe I should say that these are items have not been seen in a a few years. While I have been visiting old projects, I was thinking about my Snowbound quilt. I have thought about it for a few days, trying to remember where I had seen it last. I have not seen it in a few years. I started wondering where it was, did I still have it, had I given it away? I have gone through all my boxes that were under my table and I know it was not in any of those boxes. I went through them again just in case I might have missed something. No Snowbound. I thought about the closet and knew it was not there either because that was the first place I cleaned out.
There is a quilt stand in the corner of my sewing room. I have several quilts hung, and folded and stacked, on this stand. Truthfully I have wondered how this little stand has supported the weight of all the these quilts for all these years, but it has. I decided to pull all my quilts from this area and see if maybe Snowbound was there. I removed all the folded quilts. Then I pulled up all the quilts that were hung on the rack itself. Lo and behold, at the bottom under two other quilts was my Snowbound quilt. I was so excited. It was like meeting an old friend that I had not seen in a long time. I hugged that quilt, and danced around the living room with it and hollered at my husband, "Eureka"!
Since all the quilts were out of the corner, I put several of them on our bed and looked at them. I tried to remember when I made them. Was it in a class, or at a retreat, with a bee, or just because I liked the pattern? It was like going down Memory Lane. Unfortunately, none of these quilts have labels. I decided right then and there that every quilt I make from now on will have a label.
I have heard for years that we should document our quilts. I had not thought it was such an important thing for me because none of my quilts were going down in history in any eventful way. Well, I was wrong. I wish I could remember when I made each of these treasures. Yes, I said treasures as each and every one of these quilts are a treasure to me at this time of my life.
I remember reading in Teresa's Fabric Therapy blog how she documents her quilts. It would be fun to know when I made the quilt, if it was from a class and if so where, and what was I doing in my life that prompted me to decide that this particular quilt was one that I desired to create. I looked at the fabrics in my Snowbound quilt, and found scraps of most of the pieces in the box that was under the table. I know have made more than one quilt from those fabrics, but when?
I made Snowbound during my "country period". I am now into my purple/brights period. I may not be using the older fabrics anymore, but I love my Snowbound quilt. I want to keep it close to the top of the pile as I have decided to hang it during the month of January. We do not have snow where I live, but when I look at Snowbound, I think of winter. With the Santa block in this quilt, it also reminds me of Christmas. I want to have a quilt to hang each month that depicts the season. My idea for January has been a snowflake quilt. I think that Snowbound could be my version of a snowflake quilt. January is now covered! I can mark a snowflake quilt off my "To Do" list. Whooppee!
Happy Quilting
P.S. Nadine, do you remember what year you taught this class at Going to Pieces?

10 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Hooray that you found it - it's really cute!

Yes, do label them all. But I think we have too much pressure to make the label gorgeous with too much info. Just KISS - At one time I made a bunch of generic labels, and when I actually used them, I hand wrote the quilt name and the date. That made it less of a chore to add the label.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh so glad you found your old friend - it is darling.

It is a good idea to make at least a simple label with date and some info - and of course your name and town. I keep a quilt journal in photos - it helps to have the photos with the information.

Happy Snowbound Reunion.

Crispy said...

It's wonderful that you found the quilt, even though it's been there all this time LOL. I own so few of the quilts I've made that it's easy for me to remember them :0)

Crispy

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have some friends who did Snowbound in a class several years ago. They all did theirs scrappy and made them full sized with a few more blocks - it's a wonderful quilt but I did one block and decided it wasn't calling my name. Isn't it funny how some quilts you feel good about doing and others just don't speak to you like they do other people? That's what makes quilting so wonderful I think! blessings, marlene

quiltmom anna said...

What a lovely old friend quilt you found- it is nice to find them. Each one is special in its own way.
I do label almost all my quilts except the ones in my own house that we keep- It is kind of crazy because I believe that it is important to label them so that others know who made them. It is a job I should do this summer.
Regards,
Anna

Karen said...

I am so glad your found your Snowbound quilt. It has a different look than mine due to the color palette you used. I have done the same as you in trying to find a quilt you know you have and searching and searching for it.

Carrie P. said...

Well, I am so glad you found that quilt. I know it must have been driving you crazy wondering where it was.
And it has purple in it. You are so good how you can incorporate purple in your quilts. It is very cute.

em's scrapbag said...

Congrats on finding this fun quilt. Isn't it funny how our choices of fabric changes. I've also moved on to brights.

Sharon said...

Isn't it fun to find the old friends we've been missing? My DH would say Isn't it fun to clean up? Hee hee! Glad you finally found it! I think it would make a perfect January quilt.

What else is waiting for its discovery in your room??

Oh boy, I need to be better at getting labels on my quilts too. Elaine has the right idea! Now if only I could remember when I made some of these.

Nadine Thompson said...

Well as it happens I have a pretty good idea when taught Snowbound though cannot give you an exact date. The book came out in 1989 and I am pretty sure I began teaching the Snowbound class the following spring. Close enough don't you think? Thanks for the reminder by the way. I have a pretty good idea where my own top is and will get it out soon and decide what to do with it. I know for sure that it hung as a class sample in the shop and the border really faded. I think I used the border fabric in places in the body of the quilt so will need to evaluate and decide if it is worth removing and replacing any of that. Love yours and thanks for asking. It is fun to think we have known each other all these years!