My churn dash challenge is finished, at least the top is finished. It turned out pretty good. Sorry the picture is not great. The wind was blowing today. I took several pictures, but this one is the best one.
This morning I went to In Between Stitches in Livermore for the second Saturday Sampler Block meeting for the Bear Paw BOM. I finished my first block and took it in to show that I had it finished, received my free ticket for the next month's kit, bought some darling purple and black pumpkin Jack 'O Lantern Halloween fabric, saw some beautiful quilts on the walls, obtained my kit, then headed off to the Railroad Cafe for breakfast.
After breakfast, we stopped at a friend's house who has a darling little boy about 3 months old. I gave her the Hungry Caterpillar quilt I had made for her. That little guy is so cute (her baby boy). He has so much hair. It is sticking straight up all over his head, and so thick too. He has such a cute smile already. He is stealing hearts already I am sure.
After we returned home from our excursion, I drove over to the church where we hold our quilt meetings. One of my friends was teaching a quilt class today. She was teaching how to make a Birds In the Air block, and turn it into a wallhanging. It was so quiet when I walked into the class this afternoon. All the ladies were working away. As I walked around the room, I saw so many great color combinations in the fabrics everyone was sewing with today. One of the ladies made a darling red and white baby quilt with the Birds In the Air pattern. It was so cute, and she made the entire quilt top today in class. She was ready to take it home and quilt it when she left class.
The idea of the quilt design was very interesting. It is much like the design idea of my Puzzled Nines quilt except I am using 9 patches instead of Birds In the Air blocks. You choose a focus fabric, then make quilt blocks with the focus fabric and one other color. You also cut large squares and rectangles from your focus fabric. Next you put these all on a design wall and start arranging blocks and focus pieces until you find a design you like, then sew them up. You can make a more traditional type design, or you can be totally random in your placement of pieces. Everyone's quilt will be different. I like that kind of class. It is so much fun to see what develops when everyone receives the same pattern, but makes their design unique using different fabrics and different placement of the units.
Yesterday I was able to spend some cherished time with our grandbaby. The grandbaby is getting so darling. Her face is changing into less of a newborn shape and more of a defined shape. She is awake longer at a time, and is sleeping more hours at a time. This makes mom and dad very happy! Baby's eyes are open more and she is starting to focus her eyes. She is noticing movement. She was totally entranced with the sky light. When I would move around the room with her, she kept looking for the light from the skylight.
Wishing you lots of fabric and fun and many baby sitings for this upcoming week.
Happy Quilting
14 comments:
congrats on your finish, love the quilt.
I really like having secondary designs in my quilt or a surprise, something that you find after you look at the quilt for awhile!
isn't if fun seeing the same blocks made in many different color combos?
I enjoy that about a class always inspiring!
have fun with the grand baby and oh don't you just love watching her notice things enjoy every stage.
kathie
Hooray for getting the Churn Dash done!! It looks great!!
I had to look up the Birds in the Air block on EQ, since there weren't any pictures ROFL.
Crispy
WOW! That looks great, I just love how you put that together. Well done!!!
Oh I love the way that pattern works out - so very interesting.
Pictures - we want pictures of that darling grandbaby - pleeeease.
Love your shadow play churn dash quilt!
You clever girl you! How pretty this is. 8-)))
MORE baby photos please, please, please!
That is amazing. Love the use of the different shades of purple!
Your quilt top really is striking! Great you had time with the grandbaby - I love those times.
Your churn dash is fabulous Pam! And yes, my sweet grandbaby was here for 24 hours!! What fun I had!
The churn block was my first block (after the 9-patch) and has always remained my favorite! I SOO LOVE how this is done! You did a wonderful job! Thank you for sharing it!
Wow Pam, your quilt turned out just great. I did not realize you making a big churn dash too. I love it.
I like it, beautiful colors (of course) and the big one behind it all sets every one of them in motion! It really draws the eye around the whole top! Very well done!
I think your Churn Dash quilt came out great! It's scrappy and yet cohesive - well done! How big is it?
Wish you had pix of the Birds in the Air class! I too love when it's open to interpretation and everyone's is different. That's one of my favorite parts of a quilt class!
Wow, your churn dash turned out great!I love that block-in-a-block thing going on! Cool idea.
Post a Comment