Sunday, April 6, 2008

Is It Purple, or Is It Orange

I was asked to post a picture of my "claim to fame" purple and orange quilt. This is a quilt I made from a Margaret Miller class called "Angle Play". I took her class in Flagstaff, Arizona at Quilt Camp in the Pines. She is such a dynamic teacher. She is very positive and encouraging. She is so vibrant, and her personality is reflected in the quilts she creates. She also came to a local quilt shop to teach for a few days the next summer. I took this class a second time. At this class, I signed on to make a quilt for her upcoming book, Angle Play Blocks. I worked so diligently. I used a pattern that I designed in her workshop using her Angle Play templates. I imagine someone else probably came up with a similar design in one of her other workshops. It was such fun. I finished the top, quilted it, and sent it off to Margaret just in time to have it photographed for the book.
It was months before I knew if my quilt actually made it into the book. Margaret said that the editor had the last say, and sometimes things would get edited out, and she had no control over the editor. So I waited, somewhat patiently, for six or seven months for the book to be completed. Then one day, I received a package from Margaret in the mail. When I opened the envelope, there was an autographed copy of the book, and my quilt was featured as one of the three quilts on the back cover. It is also inside in the Gallery. I was so excited. I screamed and danced around. You would have thought I won the lottery! I went to my quilt guild the next meeting, took my book and my quilt, and told everyone that if they bought a copy of the book, I would autograph my photo! I am not sure if I sold any books that day, but it was fun sharing my "claim to fame". I know there are many more quilters with stunning quilts that we all see in these beautiful quilt books. Mine is not one of those stunning quilts, no beautiful applique, but it was fun to make. It was fun to participate in the classes with Margaret, the sewing, the sending, and the final discovery. I encourage everyone who may have a chance to participate in a project like this to go for it! It is such a high! I am exhibiting this quilt in the quilt show. I think it needs an outing. It needs some oohs and ahhs from purple and orange quilt lovers.
I see that Margaret has another Angle Play book coming out soon. She has her templates marketed in packages, which I think is a great idea. When I bought mine, we bought the entire set. I used two of the 30 or more templates I have in my set.
Well, I have procrastinated long enough today. I must get to my binding.
Happy Quilting
I see I have lost my paragraph settings again. My last few blogs have been without paragraph spacing. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem, please let me know. Leave a comment or email me. Thanks.

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That quilt is beautiful!!!! And isn't it fun to have a quilt published. Margaret is such a sweetheart to work with.

And by the way this is a spectacular quilt. I think applique is pretty (and time consuming) but I'd vote for a pieced quilt any day.

Sharon said...

I have to agree with Wanda. I love a pieced quilt! And I love this one. I think your choices in fabrics are great - some dots, some stripes, some swirly. I think a good mix adds a lot to the complexity of the quilt and keeps the eye "happy" as it goes over the quilt. And I think your "fame" story is great! Good for you!

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - that is one smashing quilt! What fun/pleasure to see it in a book! It's gorgeous, and thanks for a good story to go along with it.

Clare said...

For some reason your email address is bouncing and I can't reply to any of your comments on my blog. Sorry.

Great colours!

Ruthie said...

I say it's BEAUTIFUL! and purple with a splash of orange.

Angie said...

Is it purple, or is it orange? I say it's wonderful! The dark and light values of purples and lavenders with that splash of apricot-orange in the middle is stunning!
Congratulations for finishing this quilt---and for having it published in Margaret's book.

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, what a great quilt, no wonder it made it into the book! love the colors. as far as the paragraphing goes, I'm not help there. It goes wonky on mine sometimes too and I can't get it right.